So since blogging is such a big thing these days (Ha Ha), I thought I would change mine up a bit. Not really sure why (Sunday fun day or something?), but I've been thinking for a while about why I (still) blog and what I want my blog to represent.
The ultimate reason I continue to blog is because I want to remember the happy life I live. It's not a perfect life- not even close- but my goodness is it filled with joy. I can honestly say that 99% of the time I go through my days feeling happy and fulfilled. Yes, bad days and moments come, but that is normal for everyone. I might let things like student loans, work obligations, another load of dishes (my least favorite chore) or my often whiny children stress me out and get me down, but most days I am quick to rebound and remember that I actually have a really, really good life. And I want others to feel the same. I want everyone who comes across this little space on the Internet to leave not thinking that I have the perfect life, but that I do have a happy one and, in fact, so do they.
Happiness came in August in the form of ordinary moments and the out of the ordinary events that filled our calendars. We mailed letters to our pen pals, visited the library, went on a date (ten wife points for golfing when pregnant), cooked one or two healthy meals (yep, that was it), played with sisters and friends, and visited the beautiful Ogden temple. Stella was especially impressed by the bride room that was "A perfect place for a princess!"
Stella passed off another level of swimming lessons, or should I say her first level? I am not exactly sure, but it seems like she has done the exact same thing in each of the four sessions she has completed. I have to say she really excelled this time around and I was impressed by her excitement and bravery each day. Eliza is begging to start her own class so I am sure we will be back enjoying the humidity of the covered pool that comes with winter lessons very soon.
We also participated in the Jerome County parade with the dental office. The girls loved their moment in the spotlight waving from the cab of the truck as dad drove the parade route. Afterwards we enjoyed the $4 hand-dipped corn dogs and cute farm animals that accompany any good fair. Ryan would not so secretly love to move to Jerome and live on 12 acres of land, and while I'm still not entirely convinced, a good small town parade and fair does seem to be helping his chances.
In the middle of the month we escaped to our favorite pine tree oasis with the rest of the Palmer clan. For the second year in a row my wonderful grandparents and aunt let us enjoy their property and toys in Island Park. We spent the weekend playing with cousins, going on Ranger rides, fishing (but of course) and even had a little girl's day out to the theater to watch Beauty and the Beast. We all left exhausted, but happy- which seems to be the true measure of a great vacation.
One moment in August that must be noted occurred during my latest OB visit. I normally don't bring the girls to my appointments thanks to good neighbors and a husband who has weekdays off. But because of a schedule change it was easier to bring them with me for what was just a simple heartbeat check. While we were sitting in the exam room waiting for the doctor Stella suddenly exclaims with all of her regular enthusiasm for life, "Look at the at beautiful decoration, mom! It's just so pretty!" Please refer to the third picture in the middle row. It's obvious she has a true appreciation for the beauty of a woman's body.
Two little girls also found happiness on a $6 rickety carnival ride, at their first visit to the rodeo, and helping dad cheer on our beloved "Go Aggies!"- although the outcome of game 1 wasn't what anyone was hoping for.
We've had an abundance of August rain here in Twin Falls, and while many of our neighbors didn't enjoy their flooded basements, our girls took full advantage of the small lake that formed in our backyard. I mean isn't playing in the rain the epitome of happiness? Also, roller skating. Not sure if that made us feel happy or just like crazy people. Between the pregnant mama and two little girls who couldn't stay on their feet it was quite entertaining.
Another weekend included a trip to Pocatello to celebrate my 10 year high school reunion. It's sort of hard to believe that is has already been ten years, but also that it has only been ten years. In a way it feels like I have lived five different lives since those days when prom dates and football games were our highest priorities. But I actually loved high school, and it was so fun catching up with old friends and seeing all the wonderful things we have all accomplished in ten short years.
My mama turned another year older, and we were lucky enough to spend a few hours celebrating with her and our favorite twin. Between her visit to Twin a few days before where she spoiled us with lunch and shopping, and the weekend full of family events that we were able to celebrate by her side, we got a little bit of our Nana Joni fill. She is our favorite everything and we are beyond blessed to have her in our lives.
And of course, nothing makes our life as happy as our three little ladies. Sure one of them is a bit easier to deal with at the moment, but as we slowly get things ready for her arrival I can't help but feel my heart expanding to make room for her sweetness. Stella and Eliza seem to be growing at the speed of light, and while they are the sweetest friends most of the time, it will be good for both of them to enjoy a little time apart with Stella starting school this week. They will both be taking a dance class this year, and Stella is excited to also be trying out tumbling. While some days I dread the thought of sending them on their way through life without me there every step of the way, I also can't help but love watching their excitement for growing up and as they form passions and interests of their very own. These little humans are the ultimate happiness.



2 comments:
Love this! You are a great example of optimism and recognizing joy!
And hey...let's put Liza and Noah in the same swimming class if possible.
Xo
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thinks blogging is still where it's at! And actually, after going through this whole ordeal with baby girl, my past posts and crazy obsession with detail have come in so handy while comparing her pregnancy with Parker's. I even said to Jason two nights ago, and I quote, "That, sir, is why we blog." Family memories and a journal all in one. Score. Glad to know you're living a happy life, too. XOXO
P.S. So appreciated your comment last night. I needed the reminder.
Post a Comment