It looks like we are adding to our efforts in recreating Miss Alcott's special stories of four loving sisters. For now we will do our best with three, but maybe once dad has convinced himself he could handle yet another little lady, we can start considering our final addition.
While my official ultrasound wasn't scheduled to take place until July 22, my dear high school friend, Chelsie, offered to give us a little sneak peek on our way home from our fourth of July festivities in Island Park. After trying to meet Sunday night at her Pocatello office and being met with a key that no longer worked, we decided to stay the night at my grandparent's house and try again the following day at the hospital in Blackfoot.
We arrived nervous but excited to find out if a sister or brother was going to join the party, with the votes still at Baby Brother 2 to Baby Sister 1 (that includes Ryan's refusal to cast a vote). Before going in I asked Stella why she thought it was a boy, and she candidly replied "because we have enough girls." Ryan may or may not have agreed.
It didn't take long for Chelsie to pull up our wiggle worm on the monitor and catch a glimpse of what we all were looking for. She quickly moved to another shot, but admitted she already knew what it was. I chimed in saying I was pretty sure I knew as well, and with the slightest of sighs Ryan agreed he also knew. And we were all right- it's a girl! Stella couldn't believe it for about ten seconds, and then was completely on board. Eliza just acted like she had known all along, and Ryan soon had a big smile and maybe a look of slight shock covering his face.
In the beginning I was truly hoping for a girl. I guess the idea of a little boy just makes me nervous, especially the idea of a toddler boy. I know he would (or will) steal my heart if he ever decides to join us, but the idea of wild and crazy just makes me nervous. Sure we have a little drama now and then, but I am used to the princesses and quiet pretend play that fill our home on a daily basis.
As the time to find out the gender approached, I was becoming more convinced that my wild and crazy boy was actually coming. Between being more sick this time around, feeling that I was (am) carrying lower and who knows why else I was quickly forming the idea that the little human growing inside of me was a he.
I also had a sweet experience one Sunday as I sat on the stand with the choir for Stake Conference. At one point in the meeting all of the young men who were being made an Elder (and likely getting ready to go on missions) were announced and stood to be sustained. As I watched those young boys nervously stand and adjust their ties, something in my heart softened to the idea of having a boy, and deep down I knew I really needed one. While a boy is obviously not on the way this time, and really is never guaranteed to come at all, it was a moment that helped me become more willing to experience and excited for what may come as a mother to boys.
But for now, we will enjoy our afternoon tea parties, ruffles and frills, and everything else that comes along with these lovely little girls. While I am sure Ryan and I would be great parents to a little boy, I know that these girls are coming to our family for a special reason, and I think part of that is the personalities we both have. I think we are good fit for a home overflowing with all things pink.
Last week we had our "official" ultrasound where it was confirmed that she is still a she, and most importantly that everything looks great and she is growing right on track. I can't begin to express the gratitude I have to be bringing this sweet girl into the world. I continue to experience lots of fear with this pregnancy, and learning of friends who are enduring many complications with pregnancies and babies just heightens my anxiety. It is always such a blessing to hear that things look normal and to feel all of those twists and turns taking place in my growing belly. I hope I never take this miracle for granted, because a miracle is exactly what it is. I don't know why I have been blessed with uncomplicated pregnancies and healthy babies. It's not fair that other's are not. But today I am grateful for the blessing of normalcy, at least for this moment and in this area of my life.
And just because I never did anything like this with my other pregnancies and I am honestly shocked at how much I can't remember as I try to compare pregnancy to pregnancy, here is a little review of pregnancy #3 at the long-awaited halfway point.
Baby is the size of a: banana!
Total weight gain: 8 pounds
Maternity clothes: I think I've been wearing maternity pants/shorts since I was 13 weeks. And skirts and dresses are my best friends. I tried the elastic around the button, and it was not happening this time.
Sleep: Between all of our travels, sick kids and pregnancy...it could be better. I stole Kyrsten's giant body pillow and that has helped me to get more comfortable, but my hips and tailbone still feel like that of an eighty-year-old woman every morning. Oh, and we can't forget the at least two trips to the bathroom I make each night. Those were extra painful during this weekend's camping trip.
Movement: Finally starting to really feel her on a more regular basis. I was nervous when comparing this pregnancy to Eliza's as I had recorded that Ryan felt her move from the outside at just under 18 weeks. This week Ryan felt her give a good kick, and we found out that my placenta is positioned on the front of my uterus, making it more difficult to feel the subtle movements. However our ultrasound this week confirmed she likes to move! She even had the hiccups during our ultrasounds which was so cute!
Food cravings: This changes most everyday. At the beginning it was lemonade, apples, and cottage cheese. I hated fresh vegetables and pretty much everything else. This week I was really craving chocolate chip cookies, but the girls and I remedied that very quickly. Oh, and cereal. Always cereal.
Symptoms: Thankfully I am feeling pretty good these days, besides the usual aches and fatigue that come with pregnancy + 2 littles to chase around. I feel like an old woman with a sore tailbone, hips and back, but for the most part the nausea is gone. I did throw up once last week and had to take my Zofran this morning, but those days seem to be happening less frequently. I am already feeling a lot of pelvic pressure if I do much physical activity, so exercise is pretty much non-existent. It's either walk a mile on the treadmill today or not be able to stand for longer than five minutes at a time tomorrow, and the second option usually doesn't work well with life. The first trimester was filled with pretty intense joint pain in my buttocks. Weeks 7-13 were filled with some very sore days, but thankfully the pain pretty much completely disappeared by the start of my second trimester and hasn't returned. Oh, and we can't forget the heartburn. It has mostly stayed away, but seems to be making a more frequent appearance the last couple of weeks.



2 comments:
You are one darling pregnant momma!! The miracle of growing a human is certainly amazing, I guess it makes sense that it would have such a big impact on our bodies! The third time around seems to have so many more aches and pains doesn't it! Hang in there, soon you'll be snuggling your sweet baby girl!
2223Three little girls will be so fun. Our boy is CRAZY but rumor has it not all boys are :) I'm just so happy for you and this baby. Probably more than is normal for me to be. And I had my placenta in the front with Carly. It freaked me out because I couldn't feel her until like mid 20 weeks. It was nice to have an explanation for it :)
Post a Comment