The contradictions woven throughout motherhood are
endless. The days are filled with highs
and lows; early mornings and late nights; moments of sweet silence and fits of
screaming. In the morning we pray for
strength, patience, and understanding; and when night falls we lie on our
pillows and cry tears of frustration in response to what we feel was a day
lacking all of the above. Motherhood is
the most beautiful mess.
From the moment we realize we are to become mothers the
weight of what we must teach and instill in our children becomes evident. As mothers we will teach our children the
alphabet, how to count to ten, and to recognize those pesky colors. It is our job to teach them to use the
toilet, say “please” and “thank you”, and grow up to be upstanding citizens who
contribute in a positive way to the world.
It can all seem a little overwhelming at times. But as each day passes we realize that while
we are doing our very best to teach them, we as mothers may actually be learning
the most. We are learning patience and
humility as we deal with tantrums in the grocery store. We are learning selflessness and sacrifice as
we wake up for the eighth time in one night to calm a restless child. So while at times it seems that the teaching
might never end, the lessons learned are oh, so great.
Never at another phase of life will our strengths and
weaknesses be so magnified. On a daily basis motherhood
reminds us of our capabilities, as well as our inadequacies. We find unknown courage as we confront the
scraped knees and broken hearts of our sweet children, but yet in the same
moment we feel entirely helpless that they were ever in such a situation to
begin with. Motherhood brings us those moments of ultimate joy, but can also lead to life’s deepest sorrows. Our happiness soars as our children learn,
accomplish, and overcome; but our hearts break when wrong decisions are made or
babies lie helpless in hospital beds connected to tubes.
Motherhood is easy and it is hard. It is full of small disappointments and large
accomplishments. We spend hours cleaning
clothes just so that they can be dirtied again seconds later. It is being able to focus on serious matters like saving for college
in one minute, and letting the silliness of dance parties or introducing your toddler to rolling down hills take over in the next.
The greatest contradiction, however; is that of time. We spend long days, and often time longer
nights, wondering when one phase will end and the next one, an easier one, might begin. Twenty-four hours can feel like
twenty-four years, and the thought of doing it all again tomorrow can be
overwhelming. But then we sneak in to
take one last peak at that sleeping child and we realize they have grown up in
the blink of an eye. Somehow that day
that seemed so long actually passed by too quickly and we wish we could live it
all over again and again.
I am so grateful for my little family. I am so lucky, blessed, and happy to have them. They make my life worth living and my mistakes worth fixing. I often find myself overwhelmed with the beauty they bring to the world. That idea of your heart swelling with pride and joy, I am fairly sure it is a real, physiological occurrence. Because I most definitely feel mine doing just that every single day.
9 comments:
wow! loved this. extremely well written. you are a beautiful mom with a beautiful family. Happy Mothers Day!
You hit it right on the button, Girl. Time flies by and you will look back on those trying times and relish every moment. And as each phase comes and goes, your love, hopes, and dreams are the most cherished moments you will ever have. Love ya, Gramdma Tresa
I don't know how you do it, but you churn out the most well written and poignant blogs. This one brought me to tears, because you put into words what I am feeling, but don't have the skill to write down. Thanks and Happy Mother's Day!
I'm wiping my tears because of the simpleness and truth to your awesome words. I really needed that. Last night when Wes woke up I said, "When are we going to be done doing this?" it doesn't matter because it will end and I know I will miss these precious baby days. Thank you for the reminder. You're so good at seeing the picture in the midst of the struggle. Love you lots. Happy Mother's Day to one of the most amazing moms I know.
Taryn you are amazing. Thank you for saying so perfectly what so many of us mothers feel. You have such a talent of writing. So excited to live so close to you!
My heart is doing that swelling thing!! :) I love you
That was mom!!
That was beautiful, Taryn!
How do you write so beautifully?! I bet you are an incredible mom! :)
Post a Comment