Sunday, December 4, 2011

The Most Wonderful Time


Oh Christmas tree, Oh Christmas tree; how lovely are your branches?
Well, if we are being honest here they are a slightly above marginal in our case.
We have a $20, 6 ft tree from Walmart (I didn't even allow myself the splurge of spending $39 on the pre-lit one.  And yes, I did question that decision later.); I didn't make, purchase, refurbish, etc. a single holiday decoration this year; and the beaded garland may now be falling of due to a two year old thinking it was a giant necklace made just for her.
Someday my halls will be decked in ways that will make Martha herself envious.
But for now, each time I walk by the tree or bask in the warm glow of it's twinkling lights during an early morning feeding I can't help but smile.
After all, it is the most wonderful time of the year.


Stella is still mostly oblivious to the whole thing, especially the part that includes scouring Toys R Us catalogs to create mile long wish lists full of the latest toys and gadgets.
But there are moments when I see her light up in understanding.
She knows Santa says Ho, Ho, Ho; she loves the Christmas tree; but the most special moments are when we talk or sing of that sweet baby Jesus and his humble birth so long ago.
She makes all of life, even the crazy and hectic parts like the holidays, so much sweeter.

It's that time of year when you find excuses to wear matching Mickey Mouse Christmas crew necks and hideous awesome mustaches.
And when tarantulas are given as the ultimate white elephant gift.


It is wonderful beceause in the coming weeks new traditions will be created and old ones upheld; and airplane rides across the country with two kids seem worth it, because at the end of the runway there will be grandmas and grandpas and aunts and uncles waiting with open arms.



It seems that is has been a non-stop family reunion around these parts as of late, but that doesn't mean I am not still counting down the days until we see those beautiful mountains and get to show off our two sweet girls to quite a few people who can't wait to see them.
Nana P is here spending her scheduled help-with-the-new-baby visit, and we might just be following her home very soon after she leaves us.
Two months ago our plans were to spend Christmas by the light of our meager Christmas tree in Ohio, and while not ideal I was okay with that.
Then we had a baby three weeks early, mommy healed up nicely, and flights were cheaper than they had been in 5 months.
Sometimes I am actually happy when my plans don't quite turn out.

It is also the time of year when absences are magnified and the holes in my heart hurt a little more.
I so wish Christmas meant visiting with dad at the cabin or laughing together in the early morning hours as we help Santa put together pink wagons and kitchen sets.
One way conversations in the middle of a snowy cemetery just don't seem as nice.
Sometimes the most wonderful time of the year is also the hardest.

Nice effort on the gingerbread house, dad.


In the end the wonderful does manage to outweigh the difficult.
There are still phone calls from Bolivia to look forward to, lots of Christmas songs to be sung, and excited giggles from little girls unwrapping presents to be heard.
Wonderful!  Wonderful!  Wonderful!
And all these things thanks to a tiny baby who was born so long ago in a stable.

"And the angel said unto them, Fear not; for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.  For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord." St. Luke 1:10-11



Christmas card courtesy my AMAZING sister Kyrsten


6 comments:

Amberlee said...

Ah I love your Christmas tree- and I love all that you said. I especially love that you get to go home and be with family. I'm with you and I am a good 14 years ahead of you--so I guess somethings will never change. This time of year does come with it's difficulties- I pray that you will feel of his love for you as you are all together- no doubt he will be watching over you.
I hope you have a Wonderful Christmas!

The Millers said...

I won't judge your tree as I too am sporting the 6ft walmart evergreen :) I just may be one of those people waiting at the airport to see your family!!!!

I'm sorry that you have to go through the holidays without your sweet dad. We will be thinking of you. It is wonderful though that such a little baby grew up to be our Savior and made it so we don't have to endure such emptiness forever.

love you. cannot. wait. to see you.

Melody said...

I understand your tree. Currently up in our apartment is a 3-foot tree that I got in high school for fun. Fortunately, we just inherited my parents' VERY old artificial tree, so we'll be setting that up in the next few days.

Have fun during your Christmas break. Being with family during the holidays is the best thing ever!

Amy & Christian Ivins said...

Taryn, you are amazing! I love reading your blog! You are an amazing writer! I too, am so sorry that you have to go through the holidays without your dad there to enjoy the happy moments! But, I am certain he is there watching over you!
I am excited for you to be with your family for the holidays! I know there is a Palmer Fan Club (aka, Amy, Niki, Bre and others) wanting to see you and your cute little family when/if you have the time while in Utah! :)
I hope the traveling goes well! Merry Christmas!! Love you!

Erin_C said...

hey, your $20 walmart tree looks a lot better than ours :) they must have upgraded in the 6 years since we got ours. haha.

and I can't tell you how jealous I am that you get to go home. Hope you have a wonderful time.

Shell said...

Your tree is awesome and so are you. I told Bre when I was visiting her last week that I am a bad friend. I haven't even talked to you since you had your baby. I'm ticked that we're missing each other by 4 measley days mostly because i want to cuddle your sweet baby girl. I truly miss you lots and think you are just so fabulous and I know we will talk soon when things settle down. Thanks for updating your blog so I can keep up with the Palmers!