I am feeling much better today (perspective, right?).
Yes, I am still stressed about many things and the ache of missing my dad is always going to be a part of my life.
But over the past week I could not ignore the beauty in my life.
The beautiful world which my Heavenly Father created for me (and you).
My dear husband, energetic toddler, and sweet baby-girl-to-be.
The Gospel.
I would dare say October is my favorite month of the year, and even with all it contains this time around I am enjoying every brilliant color that greets me as I drive down the street or look out my window.
One of the best things about October is, without a doubt, General Conference.
Previously I expressed my need for much guidance and Spiritual enlightenment at this time in my life and hoped it would come from listening the words of our church leaders.
I feared, however; that I had not properly prepared my heart and mind to receive the counsel I was desperately seeking.
After the conference was over I stood once again reminded that my Heavenly Father hears me. Me.
Simple, emotional, needful me.
So many matters that were weighing on my heart were addressed.
No, not every problem was solved and no, I didn't even hear anything that I didn't know before.
But I was reminded that all will be well in the end.
I knew my tears of frustration and feelings of confusion about being a mother and the birth of my second daughter were heard as I listened to the words of Elder Anderson.
My insecurities about recognizing and heeding personal revelation were addressed as I listened to Sister Thompson.
I felt over and over again the Lord reminding me that he was aware of my sadness and longing regarding my dad. I felt my loss recognized and mourned, and yet was given hope as I listened to words from Elder Cook; and I fondly remembered the sweet legacy of faith and love that my dad left my sisters and I as Sister Dalton spoke.
And the most amazing part of it all is that I wasn't the only one listening.
These great men and women didn't write their talks for me.
They wrote them for millions of people to hear.
Yet, I found so much personal hope and peace from them.
I can not doubt that our Heavenly Father knows and loves each of us personally.
As if General Conference and the amazing colors aren't enough to make October great, activities like apple picking and pumpkin patch visiting are just icing on the fall-in-Ohio-cake.
We hit up a new pumpkin patch this year and for us the beautiful country drive to the little farm made the trip more than worth it.
When we arrived we were greeted by rows of pre picked pumpkins, a parking lot of little red wagons, and festive fall decor all around.
Stella's interactions with the animals went far better this time around then when we visited the state fair a few months back.
She loved the "baahs" (goats) and "zebas" (donkeys) as long as she didn't have to actually touch them.
She also loved the "dinosaur train" that sadly wasn't in commission the night we visited.
I am still looking for both the zebras and the dinosaurs.
(If I ever get another picture of her actually looking at the camera I will count myself lucky!)
Finally we made our way out to the patch where the search for the perfect pumpkin was on.
Ryan's goal was to find the biggest pumpkin he could carry and I believe he was successful.
While he hunted for pumpkin perfection Stella ran wild like a true child of the corn, chasing her friends, her shadow, and the frog that one our friends found.
No, we aren't at a wedding reception, just taking advantage of some of the lovely set up down at Lehner's Pumpkin patch.
Two hours and four pumpkins later (we had to get one for Little Sis, of course) we were set.
The real question is whether we will actually carve them this year.
Ryan says yes, I say if we don't then they can live on our porch through November and the remainder of the fall season.
I'll keep you updated.

















2 comments:
October really is a fabulous month! Bre and I sure missed you for our fall weekend, but I'm glad you're having fun times in OH! I'm with you on the pumpkin carving. Maybe just carving one would suffice for all of you. ;)
I'm so glad you found the comfort in the words of our prophets and apostles. We are so lucky to know that our Heavenly Father does know each of us individually. I love the fall pics. And yes I am with Shell, we missed you last weekend. We will just have to come visit you to see that new babe!
Post a Comment