Friday, March 18, 2011

Blessed

I had a lot of time to think yesterday.

I thought a lot about trials.
My trial, your trial, the trials of the world.

And I realized, yet again, that I am blessed.

My trial is hard.
I am not going to play the part of a strong, never bothered by her grief person.
I think about it everyday.
I cry about it often.
I question it on occasion.

But then I remember how everyone is suffering something.
They are dealing with death, sickness, addiction, poverty, disaster.

My family and I were abundantly blessed by the gift of time.
Not only did we have nearly 50 years of life to share with my dad, but we had those miraculous four years of fighting.
We had time to make memories.
We had time to tell and show each other how much we loved one another. 
And I can assure you we did just that.
We had time to prepare for what was to come.
We had time to say goodbye.

So many people don't get those things.
Lives are ended in an instant.
Words are left unsaid.
The chance to say goodbye is not given.

We are blessed.

Of course I have also been thinking about the sweet people of Japan.
These people are facing the emotional devastation of losing possibly everyone they love, while also dealing with the literal devastation of their entire lives.
They have no more homes, transportation, food, or clean water.
My heart aches for these people, their current state, and all that lies ahead in their future.
I pray that the Lord will lift them and bring them peace and comfort.

I will say it again.
My trial is hard for me.
It is something that is always going to be a part of my life and it will always be hard.

But throw every one's trial into the mix and I would say there is a good chance I would pull mine right back out.
Everyone is struggling with something.
Everyone has hard moments, hours, days, weeks, months, and some even have difficult years.

We need to remember our blessings.
Because they are abundant and overflowing.
And, most importantly, we must thank the good Lord above for granting them unto us.

 ***
P.S.
Yes we celebrated, and we did so just how Scottie dog would have wanted.
Coke, a Vito sandwich from Jimmy Johns, and a few too many Grasshopper cookies.
And yes, I even let Stella in on the action.
Dad is definitely smiling up there!

6 comments:

sam and kyrsten said...

love. especially stella with her grasshopper. thanks for being an amazing example. i love you.

Shell said...

You're so right. Thanks for sharing. Love all the fun things you did to celebrate!

Nicole said...

Definitely. It's hard to remember that sometimes, but man it helps to get through whatever you're dealing with. Thanks for the reminder.

Ashley J @ MommyByDayCrafterByNight said...

You have great perspective on things. It is not always easy to deal with our trials let alone have a good attitude about it. I am sure your dad loved the way you guys celebrated! You look darling in that picture by the way!

The Millers said...

I think that sounds like a perfect way to celebrate and you have such great perspective!

Ashlie said...

So cute Taryn, love you guys and miss you. Only one more month, then Stells better be prepared to be smothered with hugs and kisses from both Grandmas!