Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Late Night Musings

If the title itself didn't turn you off immediately then maybe it means I am not the only one who has a hard time simply basking in her jumbled thoughts as she lays in bed watching the clock blink ever closer to midnight.
No real updates on the father front. I guess that is good news and bad news.
That is not to say he hasn't been on my mind quite frequently. Pretty much 24/7.
It is going something like this...Stella, Ryan, Dad. Stella, Ryan, Dad. Repeat.
I probably should throw in a finish sorting through Stella's room or a fold the two baskets of laundry that have been sitting on your floor for 4 days now into the mix, but the repeat button just keeps getting pressed.
I really can't go on until I thank all of you (the religious commenters, the ones who simply read, and each and every person outside of the blogging world) who has had and continue to have my sweet dad and our family in your thoughts and prayers.
It means so much to our family and to me in particular.
Praying for peace and comfort and guidance is all any of us can really do. It is how the helpless find solace in tragedy and I know I am feeling rather helpless tonight.
So thanks.
Speaking of the man, the myth, the legend himself; after over 20 years of teaching and coaching the leaders of tomorrow he has hung up his swishy pants (okay, maybe not quite since when he does get dressed up he does it fancy like and sports one of his many athletic sweatsuits) and called it a game.
For as long as I can remember Highland High School was synonymous with my dad. He spent many hours there teaching students the basics of Economics and the proper art of keyboarding, and every once in a while even let me head up to his classroom with him so I could "professionally" type up my latest literary masterpiece. I was/am a little bit nerdy like that.
If he wasn't in the classroom (which changed many times by the way, I distinctly remember helping him move rooms by lugging heavy textbooks and pushing computer chairs through the empty halls of Highland) he could be found on the football field, at the softball diamond, or on the hardwood coaching student athletes in the ways of their chosen sport and teaching them a few life lessons along the way. Sometimes those lessons came as an intense lecture or cut-like-a-knife stare with those piercing blue eyes, but as his daughter I know they were only meant for the better good.
For some reason the thought of my dad no longer working at Highland and doing the things he loved so much has really affected me. I am sure part of it is that it is just another sign that this awful disease seems to be winning, but also because I know he truly loved and respected the many young people he has influenced. Many people are better off because their lives were touched by his and while I am a bit biased I believe this to be true beyond a shadow of a doubt.
* * *
12:03 am. What else seems to be flooding this little brain of mine?
Right, the wedding.
The Wedding you ask?
My dearest, most special cousin is getting hitched a week from today, er yesterday, and instead of being there to see her beautiful self I will be here.
Really, don't' feel bad. I could have stayed a while longer on my last trip home, but as much as I love Annie I love my husband that much more and I think he would have shunned me if I had kept that little gem of a baby away from him any longer.

Point is I am so excited for Andrea and Brandon. I could say it has been a long time coming, but they are probably sick of hearing that one. So instead I will say that they are both two of the best people I know. Each of them have faced trials and decisions more difficult than anything I can imagine, but their love for each other is strong and I know they are going to live happily ever after. Just sad I won't be there to witness the beauty that is going to be their Garden Party reception. Like really if you live in Pocatello you should go just to see a. my aunt and uncle's amazing yard b. the joyous bride and groom (of course) and c. a garden party extravaganza that looks like it up and walked right out of an Anthropoligie catalog.
I love you Andrea Nicole!
* * *
Well I told you the title was a bit foreshadowing. But my head is now clear and I think I will be able to fall right to sleep now. Of course Stella could wake up at any minute and wash that dream right down the drain, but at least that would mean I get to snuggle her a bit more tonight.
For me blogging really is therapy. Complimentary, comfortable, liberating therapy. So don't mind my late night musings too much...they might just make an encore appearance soon!

9 comments:

Taig said...

i love you sis! a lot. thanks for being so awesome! i wanna be just like you someday :) skinny and all.

Jeremy and Ruth said...

Wow! Thank you for your late night writings! you are such a great writer. I was captivated by your words!! Your father and family are in my prayers!!

Bradley and Nicole said...

Taryn you are so right your dad has touched so many lives including my own. My best memories of highschool include him. He is an amazing man! We love your family and you will be in our prayers. We love ya.

Rachel and Jason said...

Prayers for you and your family. Life just is so hard sometimes.

sam and kyrsten said...

you are beautiful. inside and out.

Mark and Sherri said...

Your family has consumed my thoughts over the last few days since I heard that your dad wasn't doing very good. I don't want to bother your family with a visit or a phone call, but please know we are thinking of you!

It is so sad and heartbreaking to see how cancer can take the life out of someone who has so much of it. As I watched my brother go through drug trials and wither away, my heart goes out to you and your whole family. Cancer is such a terrible disease! It is so difficult to watch someone you love go through all the pain, medicine, sickness, surgery, weight loss and "trying to be positive" through it all. I remember my brother telling me that cancer has taken away his job, his coworker friends, his cat, his money, his house and in the end it will still take him. It did take him, but I know he watches out for us often. I know he is at the important events in my family's life and he still loves us...it is just harder knowing I can't give him a hug. I am so grateful for the knowledge of life beyond the veil!

Please know that I love you all, especially your mom, since I know her better, and Jace is a great friend to our Jason. Please give everyone a big hug from us, sending one to you as well, and know that we will be praying for all of you.

Much Love ~ The Matsons

HARKER FAMILY said...

Love you Taryn you are all in our prayers

MyrLynn said...

Taryn...I am in tearing reading your last couple posts. After hearing of your father's passing last night, you have all been in my thoughts and prayers. As you know, you were blessed with a wonderful father that we all admired. His legacy will live on through all of you. I pray you will all feel the peace and comfort of the spirit at this time.

The Millers said...

Although you and your family are going through such a difficult time you are such a strength to everyone around you. Your Dad was an incredible man and that is evident by the person you are. Love you Tar.