June 10, 2010
Dear Dad,
When someone has been a part of your life for it's entirety it can be hard to come up with the words to describe the feelings and memories associated with them. That seems to be the case whenever I attempt to express to you or mom the immense love and respect I have for each of you. But then I get started and every memory instantly brings back a rush of feelings and sights and sounds and smells of times of joy, fun, spirituality, learning, fear, and even sorrow. And allowing myself to relive each moment reminds me that I don't tell you nearly enough how much you have taught me and how much I love and respect you. Hopefully I can do so a little better this time.
Did you know that some of my favorite memories involve you fondness for surprises? Some of the best include giving us Chancey, surprising us with a Nintendo 64, and taking us on a trip to Disneyland. I clearly remember the night we got Chancey and how you made a big fuss about the apparent "mess' we had left in the downstairs bathroom. We quickly made our way to the basement sure we had already cleaned up said mess, but following your orders all the same. How surprised and excited we were when we opened to the door to find the cute little puppy we had been eyeing sitting in mom's arms!
Speaking of that Disneyland trip...could you be anymore organized? Between the calendars you made to help us countdown the days and they typed travel itinerary you presented to four children under the age of 12, we couldn't help but get excited about every event you had planned. And that wasn't your only organizational triumph. I remember passing out more of your famous itineraries to the cheerleaders in preparation for leaving to Girls State Basketball. They may have thought it was a bit intense, but I knew it was merely how you did business. I know that lately you have had a harder time focusing and being as organized as you would like, but you will be happy to know I have assumed your OCD tendencies for now.
Have I ever told you that some of my favorite memories took place on Take-Your-Daughter-To-Work-Day? Do you even remember that you took this daughter to work on a few days? It seem like so long ago. all I know is I felt pretty awesome sitting at your desk and watching all the old, beautiful, mature (ha) high schoolers do their thing. In fact so many memories of my childhood involve Highland High School and dreaming of the day I could one day have my very own locker and don a red and black cheer skirt. Dreams do come true I guess :) I am glad you were a teacher and a coach. I am especially glad you were a teacher and a coach while I attended high school...even if you caught me sloughing or had to defend my rebellious roof climbing ways. Go Rams :)
I don't think I ever told you about the first time I remember seeing my dad cry. Don't worry, it wasn't because you were sad or scared or angry. I remember that you were crying because you were really happy. You were crying because in one day you were able to baptize your oldest daughter and give a name and a special blessing to your youngest. I knew you were proud of me that day. I am sure it wasn't the first time and I know it wasn't the last. Thank you for being worthy to assist my entry into The Church that day. Thank you for always being worthy to give me, my siblings, our mother, and anyone else in need Priesthood blessings. I knew each year on the ever of our first day of school you would be waiting to place your hands upon my head and bless me with the courage, strength, and dedication I needed to tackle a new school year. One of the blessings that has meant the most to me was the one you gave me the night before I married my sweetheart in the temple. I remember feeling a little sad because I wasn't sure if I would get the opportunity to receive as many of those special father's blessings anymore. But I know you have and always will be ready and waiting at anytime.
Dad, did you know that even when we were butting heads and having disagreements you were teaching me a lot about life and about myself and about listening to the spirit and about what I truly deserved in life? Oh you knew that is what you were doing all along? Of course you did. Some of those learning moments include our multiple discussions about who I was dating, why I was dating them, and what I thought would come of such a relationship. I'll admit that I didn't believe a word you were telling me. I thought I was as happy and in love as I could ever be. But I wasn't. And I am so glad you kept telling me that something better was waiting. Because he was. And I married him. And I love him.
Another one of those moments in which I was reminded that Father knows best was the day I went to American Falls Reservoir with my friends and came home with a cracked open head, two wrecked jet skis, and lots of tears. I wanted to go with my friends so bad that day and I could not understand why you didn't want me to go. I remember you gave me a plethora of excuses: I had a cold sore coming on and you threatened it would get worse (you know me and my loathing of cold sores well, but even that didn't work); you reminded me that you and mom would be out of town, but nothing was going to stop me from going and eventually you gave in. I realize now that The Spirit was telling you to keep me home. But instead your stubborn teenage daughter prevailed and although nothing life threatening occurred I learned that maybe listening to your dad who knows (and feels) a lot more than you do is a good thing. I will never forget that lesson. It taught me to trust you more as well as to trust the Spirit more. I hope I can teach my children those things too.
I remember when you were called to serve at the University. Did I ever tell you what a great experience that was for me? Our family made some of our greatest friends there and it made me excited to grow up and way to college and participate in The Church when I got there. Thank you for being worthy and willing to accept such a calling. I know you have touched many lives while serving in your multiple roles there, and the current and future students are going to miss out on so much without the example of your strong faith and unshakable testimony. Lucky for us we get to keep learning from you each and every day.
Did I ever tell you how much I enjoy being in the temple with you? I am so grateful you were there the day I received my own endowment and then again to act as a witness as I was sealed for time all eternity to my wonderful husband. It has also been so neat to be there together as our family continues to grow. Being with Kyrsten as she too participated in the endowment ceremony and again as she married the love of her life, Sam. I can't wait to go with Jace soon and then be there when Taigen gets to come. And don't worry, I know that no matter what you will always be there with us. I just have to look up.
I hope I have told you thank you, thank you, thank you for working so hard for our family. Between teaching rambunctious teenagers, coaching stubborn athletes (and dealing with their crazy parents), risking your life as an instructor for Driver's Ed, or teaching me how to mow a straight line you have always been willing to do whatever, whenever to provide for our family. And although I might have had a few woe-is-me moments when I couldn't participate in gymnastics, soccer, piano, ballet, equestrian, archery, and swimming all at the same time I truly never went without. In fact I am actually glad I couldn't' do or get whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted all the time. It prepared me for living the dental school life...okay maybe it also prepared me for REAL life! I know there have been hard moments along the way, especially as a coach. I am thankful I don't remember a lot, but I do remember people saying false, hurtful things about my dad and that made me sad. But you have handled all of the accusations and misrepresentations with dignity and class. Looking back maybe it was preparing you for the greatest trial of your life, which you continue to confront with that same dignity and class. I know it is frustrating and at times disheartening that you don't' have the energy to work as hard as you would like, but you will forever be that hard working, strong man to me.
Did you know that I am so grateful to have shared some of my greatest times of transition with you? I remember the day you moved me to Logan to go to Utah State over 6 years ago. I don't think we realized I would never again live with you or that I still would not have returned to The Promised Land (aka Pocatello). There is now way you could forget moving all my stuff up to not the first, not the second, not the third, but the fourth and final floor of Summit Hall. And then in the middle of the disaster that was my dorm room we got the call about my job interview at the Bookstore. You rushed me over and waited patiently while I interviewed and then gave me encouragement when it was over. I remember we all cried when you finally pulled out of the parking lot late that night (do you remember it was poor mom's birthday too), but you left me in good hands because Breanne was right there waiting to help wipe away my tears.
Pocatello to Logan was not our only moving experience. Do visions of yellow Penske trucks and voices of Nancy the GPS still haunt your memories? The fact that you would drive 1800 miles across the country to make sure we made it to our new home in Ohio is a testament of the love you have for Ryan and I. Thanks for such a great trip, it helped make the hard truth that I actually was now living across the country from my family a little easier to accept.
Thank you for supporting my transition from single lady to married woman with your complete blessing. Do you remember the first time you asked me if I thought I could marry Ryan? We were at the family reunion in Downata and you and I were having some casual conversation about the future of my relationship with the new boyfriend. I think I played it off, but I am pretty sure you knew I was smitten. And I was. Still am. Pretty sure a lot of the reason I love Ryan so much is that he reminds me a lot of you in so many ways. That makes him a lucky guy, but mostly I am a really lucky girl.
Of course having you here to help welcome my sweet baby girl into the world has been some of the greatest moments of all. I am sorry you had to be so far away when she was born and you couldn't hold her or talk to her right away. I wanted you to be there for every moment and felt a little guilty that my living in Ohio was cheating you of that opportunity. But thankfully we have Skype and unlimited cell phone minutes that allow Stella to be serenaded with Skidamarink at anytime. I am thankful that you stood with my husband and the other men who were present to give our little girl a name and a blessing. That was such a special day for our little family. Even if chemo brain takes over sometimes and the riddles and rhymes turn into something new and exciting I know Stella loves every minute she gets to spend with her Grandpa Scott.
Wow. That sure seems like a lot of memories even though it really isn't. This four page letter would end up being 400 if I could write down every way in which you have shaped my life and made me the person I am today. I love you so much and I am so very grateful to be your daughter. Keep fighting (and eating!!) because we still have a lot of memories to make!
I love you,
Taryn Ashley
I love and miss you so much, Dad!
32 comments:
Tar, I love you and am so happy you feel some peace at this very difficult time. I didn't know your dad, but I know that he was a good man and that he will be missed. I would love to talk to you soon. Thank you for your beautiful words and sharing them with everyone. It is such a great example to all of us that haven't, but will inevitably face tough times. Again, we love you.
Love you Taryn!!!!!! I'm thinking of you and your family always!
Taryn - you are so amazing!! What a beautiful letter and an amazing treasure that you will have for the rest of your life on this earth! I am sure your dad has always known how much you love him by the way you lived your life and your example to others (like me!)! We love you guys!
Oh Taryn...you make me cry;0 What an awesome letter filled with wonderful memories! I never got to meet your dad, but know he was an amazing person by the way you talk about him. Love you!
Taryn,
Jason and I are so sorry for your loss. I was getting ready this morning for church and just had this distinct impression and thought of you. Sure enough, I checked your blog and this was what I read. I can't imagine what you are going through, and found it difficult to even get through your letter without putting myself in your own shoes. Just know that our prayers and thoughts are going out to you at this very difficult time. We love you! So glad to see you and your family have found some peace in this very hard experience. Much love, Jason and Rachel
What a blessing it was for me to be able to attend your sweet Father's funeral. It was a wonderful tribute to a wonderful man. This letter was so tender and sweet. I just cry everytime I think about what you and your family must be going through. You and your family are so strong and are wonderful examples to everyone you come in contact with. I love you, thanks for being such an amazing person.
I am so sorry for your loss, but I hope you know what an amazing example you are to me and I'm sure tons of others who have watched you as you've gone through this struggle and have seen the amazing courage and love you've shown throughout the whole process. I'm so glad that you feel peace about where your dad is, what a blessing it is to have the knowledge of the gospel! I miss you tons! Tell little Stella hi!
That is so wonderful that you were able to read him that letter - I'm sure he will never forget it :) Love you, and miss you. Enjoy the time with your sweet family and we will see you soon :)
Oh Taryn,
I am so sorry. Your letter is beautiful. Have no doubt your Dad knows of your love and respect of and for him.
May your mom and all your family be in the tender palm of His hands at this tender time.
Families are truly forever!
Taryn,
That letter was beautiful, you are so good at writing but I think this tops them all. You sure loved your Daddy! I am glad you got to be with him at the end, it sure is nice that families are forever.
I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad. I know it is hard and I pray the spirit will comfort you. Hold on to the good memories. It will get easier but the pain never really goes away. Love ya. If you ever need to chat call me!
Taryn you are an amazing person! Thank you for sharing that letter. I am glad he was able to read it, I am sure it meant so much to him. And I am sure he is so proud to have you as his daughter. You truly are an inspiration to me. You are always in my thoughts and will continue to be in my prayers!
I'm so sorry to hear about your dad Taryn. I enjoyed reading your letter to him. It sounds like you had a wonderful childhood that followed you to where you are today. I'm sure you will miss him, but thankfully we know that families are forever. May Heavenly Father bring you peace and comfort in the days and months ahead. Again, thanks for sharing your blog with a stranger. (Dana....aka...Heather's Aunt)
You are such an amazing woman! You have such strength and a wonderful faith! I've been thinking about you often and hope you know i love ya!
Taryn, thank you for your courage, stregth, and faith. I know your dad was an amazing man. I do not doubt for one second that he is now in the embrace of our loving Heavenly Father. Your dad and family inspire me because of how faithful we were during this trial. Heavenly Father and your father have to be so proud of what an amazing person you are.
Oh, girl, my heart and prayers go out to you and your family. I never knew your Dad, but what a wonderful legacy and example he has set for all of us. You are enduring this trial well and thank you for your testimony of the plan of salvation. It's SUCH a blessing to be able to be with them for forever. I wish I could give you a big hug and know that I'm praying for you and your family.
That was beautiful, your dad sure is lucky to have you as his daughter. And you likewise.
this post was something special (just like the viewing and funeral). your dad was like a father to all of us during those roof climbing and cracking heads open days. we won't forget those memories. hope you guys are doing better.
Taryn,
I want to thank you for the wonderful example that you are. I am not going to pretend like I know how it feels to go through what you are going through...but I want you to know I admire you. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. You loved your dad...and he loved you. He is so proud of you! Keep the memories close to your heart. What a blessing it is to know that you will be with him again. what a blessed reunion that will be. I love you and I am here anytime.
Tar- I love you to death!! That was such a sweet letter. Thank you for sharing it. I am so grateful as well that I was able to go to the funeral It was again, such a wonderful thing. Your dad was such a great man You could tell the moment you met him just by looking at his countenance.
Taryn, I am so amazed at your strength and faith. You are truly a great example to me in every way! I know your dad meant the world to you and I know that he will always be there with you in your heart. If you ever need a shoulder to cry on I am always here to listen. Thank you for sharing your letter. Your words always touch me and help strengthen me. We will keep you and your family in our prayers. Love you!
Tar, you are honestly one of the most incredible people I know. You and your family are so strong and even through this trial you have strengthened my testimony and made me so grateful to have such wonderful people in my life. I am so grateful that I could know your Dad and I know that even though he is not here now I can still get to know him through you and what he has instilled in you. My heart hurts for you everyday but I'm happy for the peace you have found. I love you.
I love that letter! I am so glad that he got to hear it before he went home. We love you and are going to miss your dad so much. He is truly one of the most amazing men that I have ever met and such a great example of how we should each be. I hope you are all doing ok. I know it will be hard but I hope your memories of him make the hard days easier. Luvs!!!
Wow Taryn! I cannot express words of comfort sufficient to the situation. Your dad put up an amazing fight and I am grateful to have been a participant in this special time. He sounds like a remarkable man and I'm sure he will be missed. You are in my prayers.
My grandpa died about a year and a half ago, not unexpectedly (he was 100 years old), but still the losing of someone you love is a difficult thing. I was grateful for his release but I knew I would miss him in my life. Please pay attention for the next few days for the closeness of your dad. With my g-pa I could feel him close to me in those first few days, maybe even weeks. I believe the dead can comfort those of us who are grieving their loss. Anyway, I didn't mean to make a sermon but just a suggestion. I am so sorry for your loss.
Oh, Taryn I love you girl. That was one of the most beautiful things I have ever read and I will be praying for you and your family. Good luck with all the days ahead.
My prayers are with your family!! It seems so unfair to such an amazing person and family but God is supreme and he has a plan for all of us I know that. Thank you for sharing this it's so special you were able to share that with your dad. I hope you are able to feel him close by because I know he will be there and you will be able to share so much more of your life with him.
what a blessing it is to know families are forever and that your sweet family will be together for eternity. your family is loved by many and are in our prayers
Wow Taryn, you are one of the best writers I know! Thanks for sharing! Our thoughts and prayers are with you guys!
i'm so sorry about your dad! we'll keep all of your family in our prayers as i know this is such a difficult time.
We are so sorry to hear about your dad. You are an amazing writer!!! We are thinking of you guys and we hope we can see you soon!
Hold on to the peace and hold on tight. In a world of craziness I know that I have learned that sometimes you have to dig down deep to find it..but it is always there if you want it to be. Your letter is beautiful, thanks for sharing.
That is so very touching! Thank you for sharing it!
Post a Comment