Friday, January 15, 2010

One Stubborn Sister

Baby update anyone? Well as you can see out of the corner of your eye baby ticker-tracker-countdown-thing is slowly but surely moving closer to zero. And if our little gal was more like her dad we may possibly be waiting that long (or longer) to meet her. However, she is a lot more like her mother and has a stubborn side which means she will likely be joining our family a little sooner. Can't say we aren't happy about that, but because she is stubborn she will likely be arriving via C-section. Miss Stella is as breech as they come and after monitoring her for several weeks she seems more comfortable then ever in that position. Although I can't understand how she could possibly be enjoying herself as our ultrasound on Wednesday showed our little gymnast bent entirely in half and practically sucking on her big toe.

We have talked at length with our doctor about the options for a breech baby and although c-section is not how I envisioned giving birth it seems like it is going to be the way it all goes down. We are going to attempt to physically turn her just prior to the c-section. If we are successful then the doctor will go ahead and induce labor and allow the natural birth to occur. If it doesn't work, which given the 5% success rate being presented by our doctor is most likely going to be the outcome, then the c-section will performed as planned. The procedure is called External Cephalic Version, Version, or ECV and reports claim a success rate upwards of 55%. My doctor feels those statistics are significantly inflated and that the success drops even lower for me due the fact that she has already engaged her little booty deep into my pelvis and I have a low amount of amniotic fluid. Two things that are working in our favor are the position of my placenta and the size of the baby. Currently she appears to be a tiny thing measuring at a whopping 5 lbs 4 oz. Luckily she has another 11 days to gain a little more weight so I won't feel like I am going to squish her when she arrives. And yes, I said 11 days. Our Version and C-section are scheduled for Tuesday, January 26 which also happens to be her Great Grandpa Hansen's birthday. Good thing there is no one better I would pick for her to share a birthday with!

Knowing that there is literally 11 days at most (she could still come earlier if she wanted) until I get to meet my little girl is unreal. I feel like I still have so much to do to prepare for her arrival, but when I go into her room everything is ready. The nursery is set up, her car seat is installed, and my house will hopefully be organized and cleaned by mid week. However, I still somewhat feel like a chicken running around with it's head cut off! Is this normal?!? Today was my last day of work which gives me a good week to relax and finish the to-do-list, but also plenty of time to countdown the hours and question my physical, spiritual, and emotional abilities to raise our precious daughter. Good thing I am going to have an amazing support team to help me through! My poor husband who will continue to attend classes and study for tests is so excited to be a daddy and his ever calming presence will be such a blessing to me during this new and stressful time. And then there is supermom. She will be flying in at the end of next week to help me finish scrubbing my tub (way too hard when you are 9 months pregnant) and then take care of our little sweetheart for a good week and a half. Soon to follow will be two wonderful sisters who can't wait to play auntie to little Stella. After the three amigos fly back West Grandma P will be braving her fears and coming to help get me through those last few days of c-section confinement. Needless to say we will have plenty of help, because I have not even included our wonderful "Ohio family" who I is already volunteering their own time, dishes, and sleep to help out!
I am just rambling now, but I think maybe it is healthy considering my current situation, no? Ryan asked me if I was excited to be done with work. I kept telling him yes and no. I have really enjoyed my job as dietitian and am so thankful for the experience I was able to gain and for the income I was able to provide our family over the last 7 months. There are definitely things I am going to miss about my job, but I am also so excited to start my new one! I feel very blessed that I don't have a time constraint that will force me to return to work soon after Stella is born. After a few months I might consider going back part time, because I really do love the work I do, but I am so so happy I don't have to make that decision right now.

Well that is about as updated as I can get you. We have one more OB appointment next week and then the scheduled procedures the following, but more then likely we have a plan. Maybe Stella just knows her mother too well and recognizes that us type-A personalities need stability and planning in our lives to function properly. Which also means she is going to be awesome at following a schedule and eat perfectly and sleep great when she gets here, right?!? We shall see soon enough....

21 comments:

Britni said...

Yeah! Can't wait to come over and see the little one and her new mommy! I of course am up for helping with whatever, as long as you don't mind a Tucker running around! If that hospital food doesn't sound that appealing, I can pick you up something better! Good luck :) Hope to see you again before the big day!

Ty and Em said...

It could happen. Piper has been sleeping through the night since she was a month old. BEAUTIFUL! I am so excited for you, Taryn. You are going to be such an awesome mom. I can't wait to see the two of you together. AND, it's going to tickle me to see Stella and Piper play together. YAY!

Sarah said...

I hope it all goes well.
Miles birthday is January 26th! What a great day to have a baby!!
Can't wait to see her!

Brienne Alder said...

I am so excited for you Taryn.. I was just thinking back to a year ago I was in your shoes..well kinda I had already brought our sweet baby home and was pretty much scared to death. I didn't have all the help you are going to have so I am super excited for you. It will be such a blessing for you. And Brooklyn also was sleeping through the night by 6 weeks. I had to go in and give her her binkey sometimes but it worked and I used Baby Wise, the book, hopefully you have heard of it. If not you should read it. Can't wait to see pictures of Stella and the new family. Luv Ya!!!

Call Commotion said...

I had a c-section and it isn't ideal but any way to get that baby here safe and sound...right! :) You are going to be the most adorable little mommy for that little girl!!

McKensie and Caleb said...

I'm so happy for you! It is such an exciting time right before they get there, but it feels like they will never get there at the same time! I'm sorry to hear about the c-section, but as long as you are both healthy, get her here any way you can. Something that may take up some of your time before the big day, make dinners and put them in your freezer. When everyone leaves you can just pull one out, because cooking is about the last thing you want to do with a newborn around. You'll be a wonderful mommy and savor every little moment and remember to laugh! You will be so tired and stressed, but just smile because it goes by way too fast! You're in our prayers.

Kimi said...

Taryn I can't believe you are going to have a baby in less than two weeks! That is so crazy! That just means I am next. Ahhh! You are going to have to help me through the first month of being a mom since you are going to be an expert with all that help! Good luck with everything and please keep us updated. I want to know how everything goes!! We will be praying for you. :)

Stacey said...

How exciting! Tayden was born Jan. 25th. It is the perfect time to have a baby! You can keep them warm and bundled all winter and then when the summer comes they are big enough to take outside and play! Seriously, it is a perfect! Good luck with everything, can't wait to see her!

HARKER FAMILY said...

congrats this is so exciting. I remember getting everything ready. And I am very much like you I had everything done way a head of time. I felt with labor and a baby there really isn't much you can control so getting ready was one thing i did have control over. Good luck you will do wonderful. I will admit I have never been more scared in my life leaving the hospital with Preslie knowing that she was MINE, but seriously after the fist night most of my fears went away. and your mommy insincts really kick in. don't worry you will make a wonderful mom. and maybe Preslie will be Miss America one year and give the crown to Stella the next hahaha!

Sean and Katelin Bringhurst said...

I was breech my moms whole pregnancy and at the last minute the doctor moved me around and my mom was able to have a natural birth. Hopefully things work out that way for you! We are so excited for you.

Erin_C said...

yay! can't wait for Miss Stella to get here! Its nice you know when she will be here for sure. people always say c-sections aren't that great, but the other way isn't that great either;-) I just think its hard no matter what, so as long as you get a healthy baby thats what matters!

And so great you get to stay home with her! Staying home is the hardest but greatest thing. I love it!

Enjoy these last days. When she comes the chaos begins and I'm thinkging it doesn't end for 20-25 years;-)

Lucy and Landon said...

Well I hope if you do have to have the c-section that everything goes smoothly and you recover quickly. I'm so excited for you. You are going to be a great mom. I wish we lived close so I could come visit after she was born. I'm glad all of your family is coming to help that will be great. Good luck :)

Joni said...

Hey Taryn, you better save some of the tub scrubbing for me. It is always way more fun to clean other peoples homes. I can't wait to be a grandma. Tell Ryan I will share though. Love ya, see you soon, Mom

holli said...

YAY Taryn! I am so excited for you! Also, you really look amazing! Good luck in the coming weeks and keep us all posted when you can!

Kelli and Randall said...

Can't wait to see Stella. We love you and are so exicted for you! You will be the best mom.

A said...

Good luck, it'll be awesome!

sam and kyrsten said...

i am so excited to come. i think your right about the type a personality. that is why she is coming via c section! :) i love you so much! just keep busy and enjoy the last little while with just you and ryan. we love you guys! i will see you SOON! and STELLA!! YIPPEE

Bradley and Nicole said...

Taryn-
I had a c-section and yes its not how you invision everything going but once you are holding your little angel it doesnt even matter how they arrived. She is going to be adorable! Good luck! And I dont know if its going to be this way for you but for me at first it was the scariest thing ever but I swear it gets easier!!!

Shell said...

I know you have a lot of comments, but I just had to put my 2 cents in and let you know I was thinking about you and so excited for you and your little fam to have a new addition! You're amazing and I hope that whether you deliver vaginally or C-section that you have a wonderful experience bringing your little girl into the world. Good luck with everything and please send out a text sooner than 12 hours after having her;-) Love ya gal!

ANDY, JEN & KIDDIES said...

I can't wait to see pics of little stella...squeal! I hope all goes well with the birth...however it happens. We are so excited for you and Ryan.

Angie said...

Good luck Taryn! Everything is going to go great. I think its normal to feel anxious. Especially the first time. You'll do great, and soon you'll have little Stella. I love ya.