Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Take Me Out To The Ballgame

Something very curious happened this week. I was browsing through pictures of time gone by and found some pictures of our baseball summers. It made me really miss them! I know, I know...I never thought I would say the words either, but I miss my husband playing baseball. I think it made me remember some of the great memories we have made- from our earliest days of getting to know each other to our "disagreements" about another weekend full of games. You know that feeling in the pit of your stomach when you just MISS something? I actually had that feeling about BASEBALL! I told Ryan about it and I don't know if I have ever seen him smile so big.
When I think about our baseball days so many experiences come to mind. Maybe a week into dating I went to one of the Aggie club team games. I was sitting with Ryan's mom (who I had maybe met once before) behind the backstop and Ryan was up to bat. Ryan ended up striking out (a rare occurrence) and he wasn't too happy about it. As he walked back to the dugout and right past me and his mother I was able to hear a few choice words roll of his tongue. Way to make a good first impression, right?When Ryan and I were trying to decide when to tie the knot we kept moving the date. First it was August to wait for Greg to get home from his mission, then it was the end of the semester in May or June, and finally spring break came into the picture. We were eating dinner at one of our favorite spots, Wingers, and were discussing possible days. I brought up spring break and the many reasons it would be a perfect time. Ryan just looked at me and said, "Well I will have to check if I have a game first." I was so mad! That was definitely a time when baseball was NOT my favorite sport. Lucky for Ryan he realized I was a little cuter than the guys on the baseball team and we ended up getting married March 3.
I don't think I will ever be able to forget the longest game of my life! It was a summer night game that lasted about 4 and a half hours! Ryan added to the score with 3 home runs including 2 grand slams. Too bad they still lost.
Of course there were lots of fun road trips involving baseball, but I always found a little more joy in the ones that took us south. Whether it was the USU team or when Ryan was coaching Logan High we had some great times in St. George. I even got to spend my 21st birthday in Mesquite with all the Palmer boys (Jeff, Ryan, Greg, and Taylor) at the all-you-can-eat seafood buffet. Yes, dreams really do come true.
I am so glad baseball is something all the Palmer boys enjoy. Ryan has been able to develop great relationships with his brothers through this game. Of course it is a sport and they are boys so there may have been some tense moments along the way too. But I don't think any of them would change the memories they have made whether they were in Oregon, as Aggies, or under the lights during the summer.

So I guess there is a lot to miss about Ryan's favorite past time. I have made some great friends, great memories, and deeper love for my husband through all the 900 innings I have sat through. So could someone please, take me out to the ballgame!

13 comments:

Kristen said...

You know the sad thing, I was thinking about this type of thing the other day and how I missed Ry being able to play ball too. The funny thing is, he did have a game the day we got married, and his team came through the line, jokingly told him he had a game in 30 min and I was quite proud of the fact that he didn't even question if he could go or not!

Britni said...

Oh Taryn...how similar our lives are in regards to this topic! It really is scary how much Ryan and Nate love baseball. It's still not my favorite, but it is way fun to go to games and watch them have fun when they play.

Cami said...

Hey Taryn it is sad to say that it has taken me this long to realise that people can leave coments on your blogs. It is great to hear from you! I hope your doing great and I am also excited for the warm weather to come and all that comes with it.

Brandon and Brianne said...

This blog is so cute! your so creative! I love things like this- things you "miss"! Speaking of those things I miss you and your whole family!!! :) I miss sleepovers where Taryn and Kyrsten are fighting and one way or another I end up on your side and I think Devri(?) was with kyrsten!!good times. haha Great blog!

Erin_C said...

Ohhh. . . you're making me miss summer more than I already do. Baseball games are my favorite summer past time. My little brother has always played, and its so fun to sit in the shade and watch. I'm sad I'm gonna miss out on that this summer, too!

Becky said...

What a good wife you were to sit through all those games. I love the comment he made when you were deciding when to get married.I'd kill him too. I miss watching Brandon play football too. Buy hey look at the bright side now we get to watch them study, study, and study!! Haha. You gotta love it. Hope Ohio is treating you well.

Leah said...

Isn't it so fun to reminisce? This was a great reminder for me to live in the moment and relish what life is like right now-because very soon we'll be missing these moments. Even though I only went to a few of those games, this post made me remember that game we went to when we first started hanging out with all of those guys. I remember that we still didn't know them all very well yet.

sam and kyrsten said...

tar i love you! i didnt know that ryan had said that about when you guys were discussing when to get married... ha so funny! it would be something ryan would have to figure out though. you guys should see if you could join a couple league out there or something that would be funner than sitting and watching! I love ya sis! hope your day is good! and i really like the post! the first pic of you and ry is really cute! i love your hair

Allyson said...

Isn't it sad to come second to something?...(even though you do truly know you're first:) I love those cute pictures. Old pictures that take you back to something are my favorite. Kevin's first love is his car. Truly. Wait... Now maybe it's his spectacle eye goggle things. BUT I do have to say (in accordance to your post on Britni's blog...YOU are first sister sue.) And that's all I have to say right now.:) See you tomorrow.

Karly & Greg Palmer said...

Baseball has a lot of fun memories. It's funny how similar Ryan and Greg are...we had the same conversation about planning our wedding around baseball too! Goes to prove-all guys think alike! Greg and I were talking tonight about how Ryan, Taylor and Greg need to play summer ball again when you guys get back.

Jon. Jamie. Ethan. Lynsi. Katie. said...

That was so much fun to read about your history of baseball together! You two are such a cute couple!!!

Anonymous said...

Taryn...this post made me laugh, it is oh so true! I never thought that I would miss having so many weeknights and every single weekend from Feb. to Sept. taken up by BASEBALL! I hated being home alone as a new wife while Justin was off with the Aggies. Now I look back at those summer nights under the lights and want to cry, because that was such a great time in our life. I just remember Jace being in his stroller sucking on licorice watching the game and getting mosquito bites. Too bad he wasn't old enough to remember those fun times. I think Justin will still ache for baseball when the snow melts even when he is 80 years old. He misses it so much. Thanks for the great post, you reminded me of so many wonderful times. Oh BTW, there always has to be a few choice words or it's not baseball. As embarassing as it may be.

Jerica said...

that is so cute! maybe i just need to GO hunting with morgan... cuz right now I HATE it when he goes hunting!! so maybe if i go with him, someday i'll look back and really miss it... ??