Friday, February 13, 2009

The Circle of Life

This week someone in my life made an exit from this world, while someone else close to me brought a new little soul into it. I find the contradiction extraordinary. My sweet cousin lost her husband this week in a car accident. They have two adorable little girls who are going to miss their daddy dearly, and I know my cousin will forever love and miss her husband. At the same time one of my best friends welcomed her new little boy to the world and experienced a joy and love that, as of yet, I really know nothing about.

Both of these things have made me ponder what is really most important in life. First, the gospel. How could anyone get through the tremendous trials of life or truly experience the joys of living without it? It gives us purpose, hope, and peace. It allows families to be together forever and that is an amazing comfort whether that family is being challenged through death or created through birth. Our Savior experienced all things for us. Our griefs, sicknesses, and pains, but also our joys and our triumphs so that through him we can accomplish all things. We can go to Him for comfort and healing during tragedy, or for guidance and strength to help us make the decisions that will lead us back to him someday. I am thankful for Him.
Of course family has also been on the forefront of my mind. I wish I could be home in Idaho with my dear family as they struggle with this trial. I knew sadness and loss might visit our family while I lived away, but I secretly hoped it never would. It is hard trying to comfort those you love and allow them to comfort you when you are crying 1,800 miles away. Luckily I have an amazing husband who knows just what to say and do for me, as well as the best parents, siblings, cousins, aunts, uncles, and grandparents anyone could ask for. And I am grateful that they get to strengthen each other this week and for the weeks to come, because no one could do it better than they could. As for me I am sending love and prayers and tears and comfort from Ohio, because that is all I can do. I hope they reach you.

7 comments:

HARKER FAMILY said...

Taryn we are so sorry for your loss this week. It breaks my heart to think of Angie and those two sweet little girls. I hope you and your family can continue to find peace and know that so many people love you and are praying for you.

Britni said...

Oh Taryn...it's hard. Only time can take away some of the hurt, but that day will come. You are such a strong person and I admire you a lot. We are here for whenever you need someone to talk to or whatever, but you already know that!

Taig said...

Great post Tar! I love you so much! I miss you. Everything will be okay. ..Who had a baby?

Joni said...

You are so beautiful. What an amazing testimony. I am going to use it in my talk on Sunday for ward conference. I love you and hope you are doing ok. Love mom

Angie said...

Taryn,
You are such a sweet person. Your blog was perfectly said. I am finding great comfort in the Lord. Thank you for your kind words and calls. I love you tons.

sam and kyrsten said...

tar i love you. i miss you.

Anonymous said...

I just have to say I love your thoughts on this. I was talking to my dad about this very thing today, and how births and deaths really put life in perspective and make you realize that there's not much else important in this life. What a blessing the gospel is in our lives, isn't it? But I am so sorry to hear about your loss, and your cousin's loss. That is so hard.