My first baby turned 5 1/2 last month, and this week she finally started kindergarten. There is no doubt that I am still in disbelief about the whole thing. How did we get here already? It's amazing how fast it feels like we went from swaddling to school supplies, and yet when I think about all that has transpired in the past 5 1/2 years, I really shouldn't be surprised. Watching her grow into the beautiful, special girl that she is has been a joy.
Some of my favorite memories of Stella Rose at 5 1/2:
Wearing her panda bear eye mask to bed most nights. She is a great sleeper, and even though her little sis tries to keep her awake for a couple of hours after lights out, Stella is almost always asleep within five minutes.
One day we decided to make cookies for some friends. I had gone out of the room to do something, and when I came back in Stella had already plated and bagged up all the cookies on her own. It was such a grown up thing for her to do.
The girl certainly has a flair for the dramatic--just check out 99% of those poses.
Still an awesome eater (as evidenced by her green smoothie face). She still loves almost all fruits and vegetables, and is great at trying most foods that are served at dinner. She has an ongoing project called Stella's Recipe Book. Not sure I would really ever want to try any of these said recipes, but it's fun to see her concoct such fabulous dishes in her mind. One of her recipes is a banana cake and I asked her what temperature to cook it at. She replied, "About the temperature of my hands, " and put her warm hands on my cheeks. When I asked how long she said, "About three minutes, because seconds are too short and hours are too long."
She had to get a cavity filled and we were all a little nervous about it. Stella's personality lends itself to caution and nervousness, and with her poor track record at the dental office our hopes weren't very high. Dr. Dad felt like if we could get the happy gas going she would be just fine, and although it was quite the fight to get there, once she started breathing in that relaxation juice it was like someone had flipped a switch. It was almost frightening to watch as a mother, but then I decided it wouldn't be a bad idea to hook some up at home as solution to some of Stella's other anxiety-filled moments.
The role of biggest sister is still taken very seriously at our house, and although there are moments she "just needs some privacy," Stella continues to be a loving sister and a great example to Ivy and Eliza. One day Stella wanted to go to the park, but we had to wait for Ivy to wake up from her nap. When Stella heard her stirring in the crib she said, "Sounds like that's our ticket to the park!"
Stella is a really good reader. I still have no idea how it happened, but she can read any book you put in front of her. One day she found a Book of Mormon reading chart that she wanted to color, so I told her she had to read a chapter in her Book of Mormon first. The next thing I know she is sitting on the couch reading her scriptures. After a few minutes she came up and told me she was done reading the first chapter. I was a little skeptical that she had actually read it, so I asked her what it was about. She responded with a nonchalant, "Oh, just about Jerusalem being destroyed." She amazes me, and I am so happy that she is developing such a love for reading.
She just started her first season of soccer last week, and although I am not sure she will score too many goals, as Coach Hansen would say, "At least her hair looked nice." She is excited to try something new and loves her pink soccer socks. The fall also brings another year of dance class, and she will be part of a little singing group. Some days it feels like a lot for such a little girl, but she loves a good schedule and is excited for all of her activities.
Lately she loves superheroes, playing school, her fake cell phone and computer (oh, dear!), and of course, her beloved library. A couple of weeks ago I finally caved to her year-long requests for a "real" library set up outside that all of her friends could come to. Thanks to wonderful neighbors and friends we had a fun morning with Stella leading a little story time and then checking out books to her patrons. It wasn't fancy or perfect, but it was one of those mama moments that reminded me why sometimes I just have to do the stuff that seems a little inconvenient or not fun for me. Stella's excitement and joy about the whole thing was tangible, and in the end, it really wasn't that hard anyways.
My girl is definitely her mother's daughter, and while I wish that meant she was just totally awesome (which she is), it also means she is already a struggling perfectionist. One day a few months ago Stella was throwing an epic fit about not coloring a picture the right way. I took her into the bedroom and tried to talk her down from the emotional ledge, and she just kept saying "I have to do it perfect! I want it to be perfect! If it's not perfect, I'm not a big girl!" Tears were welling in my eyes as I tried to teach my sweet girl the same lesson I am continually learning myself--you don't have to be perfect. Mistakes are a natural and essential part of life. I can see that it's going to be many years of trying to teach this lesson, but I'm hopeful we can learn it together.
![]() |
| Don't blink. |
As for my baby turning into a beautiful little girl who goes to elementary school? Well it's been a bit more emotional than I thought it would be. But oh boy does she love it. Her descriptions of the first day included words like "awesome!" and "great!" (on repeat), and she is excited to go every single morning. Her teacher is Ms. Porter, she has two friends from primary in her class, and so far her favorite part is music class on Thursdays. Her current career aspirations include fireman and teacher, although a few months ago after a family outing to the frozen yogurt shop she enthusiastically exclaimed, "I hope I can work here someday!"
I'm so glad she loves school. I had no doubt that she would, but her excitement for it all makes it that much easier to be happy about this whole growing up thing.
We simply adore our fabulous firstborn.









1 comment:
I adore her too! She is truly one-of-a-kind. I love how kind, caring, smart, and spunky she is. She is a great example to Noah. Such a good little helper too.
I loved this post, and I too hope she can work at the frozen yogurt shop someday. ;)
Post a Comment