Once upon a time it was December and crazy (whoops, still is) and all things Christmas-y. And it was great. We really did try to scale back this year on all the comings and goings, but let's be honest: I've got a major case of FOMO (fear of missing out) and it's not going away anytime soon, new baby or not.
So while I didn't stress about some things, we did try and make it a merry holiday season for the girls, and I think we succeeded in doing just that.
The girls met Santa a few times, but I think we only documented it once, and even Miss Ivy was introduced to a couple of important figures like great grandma Eloise and Mr. Claus himself.
We spent a fun Saturday in Pocatello with the Hansen cousins, followed by a double dose of dance recital on a lovely Monday evening. We are so lucky to have these people to laugh with, cry with and watch three straight hours of dance with.
Sugar cookies and gingerbread houses are always a favorite activity. This year we decided to make a gingerbread house fit for a princess (or two), and I think we were successful in our endeavors.
Stella got dressed in her Sunday best (glad the "Christmas" dresses got some use since we didn't quite make it to church on that unofficial Christmas Sunday) and spread some Christmas cheer at the local retirement home with her fellow preschoolers. As always, she stole the show and even Miss Liza looked adorable in her own fancy outfit that just had to be worn while watching from the audience.
We spent a few days in Logan having sister sleepovers and wearing Nana's Frozen dress ups 24/7. The dresses even sang a catchy tune ("Let it Go"- you may have heard of it?) and lit up the night sky for all to see. It was especially adorable at 7 a.m.
We also managed a mama and baby BFF reunion. Ivy, Eve and Ember should be meeting back up in the Utah State dorms sometime around the year 2032. I love these ladies and I still can't believe we have nine kids between the three of us, but figuring out this crazy ride called motherhood is so much better with them by my side.
We spent Christmas Eve (and Christmas Eve eve) in Ogden together with all of my siblings. It's just too much fun when we all get to hang out, and I'm ready to make it a permanent thing. I think Joni and Paul's basement is big enough for all of us...
We visited the Ogden lights (yep, that's a thing!) and while that cute little pink bear and I spent the majority of the trip enjoying a feeding session in the car, I think fun was had by all.
Christmas Eve was full of traditions, lots of kiddos, lots of sprinkles and lots of presents.
We had our traditional "Dad's Dinner" where we laughed at memories and chugged a Coke all in honor of our dad and papa. We sure miss him, but I think he would be proud of how we are doing. Proud of the people we are becoming, the ways we have let our love for others grow, and proud of the way we do our best to remember him. I still feel like we are on a learning curve, figuring out this grief thing. We are coming up on five years and sometimes it's hard to know how to feel or how sad to get or how much to think about it all when you are moving ever further from the day they left. I'm sure there isn't really a right or wrong way of doing it, but it's a little tricky nonetheless.
![]() |
| And that's what presents for 7 children, their spouses and 14 grand kids looks like |
![]() |
| Christmas sweatshirts + Eliza's outfit of choice all day, every day |
![]() |
| Some of us were more ready for bed than others on Christmas Eve |
Christmas morning was a smashing success, with the girls both pleased with all of their loot. This year Santa had it easy, as he simply brought two of everything in an effort to reduce the arguments and sharing issues for the coming 365 days. I'm not sure how much longer giving them the exact same gifts is going to work, so I'm enjoying it while I can.
My favorite gift just might have been the FIVE consecutive hours of sleep I received courtesy one amazing baby. And I remember when I used to want actual "stuff" for Christmas.
![]() |
| So happy to be holding that Elsa dress. It was wrapped when she first came up the stairs and she was starting to get a little frantic asking "Where are the dresses?!" |
![]() |
| Poor Gibson received the gift of the Christmas flu. |
![]() |
| Baby's first Christmas + our first Christmas as a family of five! |
Christmas night was spent with the Palmer clan, and I was obviously tired as I only managed a handful of pictures. We had fun surprising Jeff and Teresa with their gifts, and watching the little girls dance around in their matching nightgowns. As much as we tried to fight it, it was a very Frozen Christmas.
Our last stop on the Christmas tour was beautiful Bear Lake, and once we made it up the hill in our van (still love you, van!) we had a great time playing in the snow and with our cousins. The cabin never disappoints with it's yummy food and happy laughter.
We ended December the best way we know how: with a 8:00 pm New Year's countdown with the girls and a 10:00 pm bedtime for the mom and dad. We party hard.


























2 comments:
""Let it Go"- you may have heard of it?" Hahaha. Love your little parentheticals.
Whoa--your BILs beard! What the heck?
I feel like we haven't even talked about our Decembers. I didn't know you did half of that stuff. Life is too busy! We need to catch up more!
Oh, and Ivy in the pink bear suit??? Kill me.
Post a Comment