Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Our October


October has always been my favorite month of the year.  If you look back at the days when I blogged more than a monthly update you will find me waxing poetic about October many times.  And when we lived in Ohio?  That was truly something special.  
In reality, this October has been a little rough for me. By the looks of our photos, it was still a good month filled to the brim with lots of the things and people we love, but emotionally and physically I really struggled this past month.  I'm definitely blaming it on pregnancy hormones and discomfort, and will be looking forward to less time on the emotional roller coaster next year.  In the meantime, I found my new current life motto in five simple words: Enjoy it.  Because it's happening.

Conference in Bear Lake was a great kick-off to October.  We watched the Aggies beat BYU, and relaxed with our favorite people while listening to the inspired messages of our church leaders.  It's always a favorite and much anticipated weekend, and it never seems to let us down.

Ryan spent some time searching for Bambi in the mountains of Utah and Idaho (I think October is his favorite, too).  While he didn't purchase a Utah deer tag this year, he still enjoyed spending time in the mountains with his family.  Taylor was the only one lucky enough to get a deer this year, and although Ryan's Idaho tag is still good for a few more weeks, it looks like no deer meat for us this year.  Darn it.  We always have a good time while dad is away doing things like shopping for decorations for the nursery, pumpkin patching it with the Short clan, and celebrating Liza's birthday.


As for the two amigos, they had a mostly good month.  A few too many emotional breakdowns from Eliza, a failed teeth cleaning for Stella (come on girl, your dad is the dentist!), coordinating outfits, and sick visits to the doctor resulting in a negative strep test for one and puking all over the exam room for the other.
 More pumpkin patches thanks to preschool field trips, calm and quiet Sabbath mornings (ha!), enjoying Nana Joni's new playroom, and lots of moments spent simultaneously loving and driving each other crazy.  I wish I could say my stress and frustrations during the month weren't projected onto my sweet girls, but it was certainly a month that ended with me praying for forgiveness and strength to overcome my weaknesses as a mother.  At the end of the month Stella and I escaped for some much needed alone time where we cruised around Target and got frozen yogurt.  I asked her how I could be a better mom, to which she replied, "Just ask Heavenly Father and maybe have a family home evening about being nice."  She is wise beyond her years.

So here's to a happier, healthier and more energetic November.  And let's just say I wouldn't be mad if it included the birth of a certain baby girl.


No comments: