Monday, February 24, 2014

What I LOVE About You


I enjoy Valentine's Day so much more now that I am married and have children.  And it's not because I have a husband who will probably bring me flowers (he did), or get to go on a fancy date at a nice restaurant (we didn't).  It's not because my marriage or my children or my life is perfect.  I have come to appreciate Valentine's Day, because it gives me a few hours to remember all the people I have in my life who love me and who I get to love back in return.  There are a lot of them, and I am a lucky lady to be able to say that.  




We made lots of Valentines this year.  Between killing time before a 2:00 church time and getting Stella's class Valentines ready (how is this possible?), we had lots of fun with sparkly hearts, pink construction paper and stickers.  I was sure we would walk out of Target with princess Valentines to hand out to her predominantly male preschool class, but was pleasantly surprised when she chose a a "homemade" version with a pack of fruit snacks stapled to the back.  





We like to give our girls a little surprise on Valentine's morning.  This year it was new plates and cups (the EXACT same ones to try and help squelch the morning arguments), new books and coloring packs, and a few treats we found buried in the back of the pantry.  Some pink "heart" shaped pancakes for breakfast put us on the right track for the rest of our day spent visiting the library, running errands and getting excited for our date with daddy.



Our special evening found us eating as a family at Chilis and dipping chocolate strawberries.  The girls were as messy as could be expected, but loved a night hanging out with mom and dad.  But seriously, they were so messy.





It has sort of become my tradition to use Valentine's day as a good excuse to record some of the current reasons I love my people so much.  They really are the best thing that has ever happened to me.

When it comes to that husband of mine, I am just so very grateful.  We aren't perfect, but we sure are happy- and that is more than a lot of people can say.  We balance each other out in so many ways, and although some days those differences make me crazy, most days they are a really good thing.  I love his willingness to help me with whatever task I ask him to help check of my to-do list, but I also love that because of him I can appreciate a day of relaxation and rest.  I love his humility and I love his confidence.  I love that he makes me feel beautiful and loved every single day.


Stella Rose brings so much love to the world.  I love her thoughtfulness, not only about others but also about the decisions she makes each day.  I love that when she offers up a plan for the day or the hour she says, "Isn't that a great idea?" I love that she remembers things that happened two years ago, and then brings them up at the most random times.  I love that she loves the scriptures, going to primary and talking about Jesus and heaven.  I love her imagination, her happiness and her one million questions per day.


Oh, Eliza.  I love (and hate) her need for her mama.  It's always at bedtime or as soon as I step into the kitchen, but I know she loves me, so I guess it's okay.  I love her motherly ways and the affection and care she shows her millions of baby dolls.  I love that whenever I tell her she can't do or have something she responds with, "Ohhhhhh, why?!"  It's the cutest thing.  I love her snuggles that are always ready and waiting.  Please don't let that end.

It's such a happy life, and I am glad I get to share it with my most precious loves.  I don't know how I got so lucky to be blessed with these people and this great life, but I hope I am not taking it for granted. I hope I am showing them love through my actions and words every single day.  Because at some point I won't get to tell them or show them anymore.  And when that day comes I don't ever want them to doubt that they were my world.  That they brought me happiness, and because of them I lived a life full of love.


4 comments:

Jessie said...

Cute pictures! I agree, Valentine's is cliché, but it's so much fun to have an excuse to love on those we love and who love us just a little extra. You did a lot of fun stuff!

Tresa & Norman said...

Love your Valentine day. What a fun time for the four of you. You are a very special family and we love you a bunch. Grandma Tresa

Rachel said...

Fun idea to have a family date on Valentines Day! I bet Noah would love doing fondue! Oh and I love the pink, heart-shaped pancakes!

Love your cute girls. So glad I've gotten to know them (and you!). I am adding your blog to my blog roll now that we are "in real life" friends. Let's get together again soon!

Nicole said...

Oh they are getting so big!! They are so cute- you inspire me to want to do lots of fun things with Edith:)