Sunday, January 12, 2014

And Then it Was Christmas


We decided to do Christmas at home this year.  Honestly, I have mixed reviews about it.  Waking up with the girls and being in our own home (i.e. not dragging a giant Barbie jeep across state lines) was wonderful.  Christmas Eve night was spent making cookies for Santa and doing our best rendition of the nativity story.  Dad was the donkey, Eliza the shepherd/Joseph, and, of course, Stella took on the lead role of Mary.  They loved dressing up, and the next thing I knew Stella was praying over baby Jesus in the manger.  When all was said and done Stella was ready for more, crawling into my lap and asking, "When is the next act?"
Those sweet, innocent faces say it all: Joy to the world, the Lord has come!

I did miss our usual Hansen Christmas Eve extravaganza.  My entire life Christmas Eve has been as much of a holiday as Christmas day itself.  With gifts to open, multiple parties to attend, and special dinners remembering the ones we miss so much it is always a day bursting with busy goodness.  This Christmas Eve was great, but it was quiet.  It was just the four of us, a few meltdowns, ten minutes spent emptying the entire contents of mom's wallet during a quick shower, and round two of Frozen.  And yes, the girls loved it even more the second time.  Ryan smoked some yummy ribs and we spent the evening eating and playing as a family.  It was still a happy day, but I missed the holiday commotion (and people) I am used to.


Christmas morning was a hit!  With a Barbie jeep and Cinderella Barbie waiting under the tree, how could it not be?  Mom was surprised with a new camera, which means there may hope for the pictures on this blog after all.  I certainly need to learn how to use it, but it's been fun so far.  It was the merriest of Christmas mornings, and the perfect kick-off to Christmas Week 2013.





No comments: