![]() |
| image via |
I was going to have a baby on July 24, 2014. After weeks of anticipation, we saw that ever so hoped for positive pregnancy test. We were thrilled and in that instant the planning began. Our first doctor appointment and ultrasound were scheduled for the week before Christmas, putting me 10 weeks along right in time to surprise our families with the good news on Christmas day. We figured we would wait a little longer to tell the rest of the world, maybe even long enough to find out the gender. I thought Valentine's day would be the perfect time for the "big announcement", and the wheels were already turning with ideas for a creative and clever surprise. For a week everything was perfect, exciting, and happy. And then just as quickly everything began to feel not quite right, and things that shouldn't be happening started to happen. For several days we wondered what was ahead. We prayed, we cried, we hoped, and we feared. Yesterday our fears were confirmed with the news that it was a miscarriage. It has been as emotionally painful as I ever thought it would be, and physically even more so. We are sad, but we are at peace and have hope. While this could have been so much worse in so many ways, I know it is something that will have an everlasting affect on my heart. Somehow, somewhere miscarriage became this taboo topic that no one ever discusses. Maybe it is because of the pain, maybe because of guilt, or even feelings of shame. I'm not exactly sure, but I don't want to forget this experience. Some of the pain and fear I could live without, but I am not ashamed of this experience and I pray that I will learn from it. We have been so blessed in our efforts to have a family, and I hope this experience will provide me with a stronger sense of empathy for those people I know who have had or will have a miscarriage or other problems with fertility. I hope I can learn patience through this trial. More specifically patience with the Lord's plan and His timing. It is hard to think about waiting to try for another baby, waiting for another positive pregnancy test, and waiting to hold that sweet, fresh from Heaven baby in my arms, but I have faith that those days will come. Most of all I hope I don't forget the gratitude this experience has allowed me to feel and that I have held tight to in some of the hardest moments.
What a gratitude I have for my sweet children. It is as if I am looking at them with new eyes. What an amazing blessing they are in my life. I look at them and think how miraculous it is that they are here, that every little thing that had to go right to get them here did just that. How lucky I am to have two perfect little girls who are thriving when so many odds were against them. They are bringing perspective, peace, and joy to this situation, and I love them more than I will ever be able to express.
I am so grateful for my husband. He is a man of few words, and even fewer emotions, but I know this experience is just as difficult for him. Yet he has been my rock. He has provided the comforting words, gentle touches, priesthood power, and selfless service that were so needed during this difficult time. He is a good, good man and I am so grateful we get to navigate this journey together, even if he has to carry me through a good portion of it.
Above all I am grateful for my Savior, Jesus Christ. I had to teach the lesson in Young Women on Sunday and, although I didn't know it then, it was a lesson I needed for myself just as much as it was for those girls. I had decided on the topic earlier in the week, before I knew there was a problem, and I taught it at time where I still had hope that things would turn out okay. During that lesson I begged those sweet, twelve- and thirteen-year-old girls to never feel that they are alone. To always remember that their Heavenly Father and Savior are aware of their struggles, understand their needs, and love them beyond measure.
We read the following out of The Book of Mormon:
"And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.
And he will take upon him death, that may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how succor his people according to their infirmities." Alma 7: 11-12
These scriptures bring more peace and hope to my soul than anything in this world could. As I am now experiencing and processing this loss I am grateful for the inspiration I had to teach that lesson. To share those words and to have the spirit bear witness to me of their divine truth. I have felt my Savior succoring me over the past few days and I have felt him do it before.
We also read these words by Elder Holland:
"So how do you best respond when mental or emotional challenges confront you or those you love? Above all, never lose faith in your Father in Heaven, who loves you more than you can comprehend. As President Monson said to the Relief Society sisters so movingly last Saturday evening: “That love never changes. … It is there for you when you are sad or happy, discouraged or hopeful. God’s love is there for you whether or not you feel you deserve [it]. It is simply always there.” Never, ever doubt that, and never harden your heart. Faithfully pursue the time-tested devotional practices that bring the Spirit of the Lord into your life. Seek the counsel of those who hold keys for your spiritual well-being. Ask for and cherish priesthood blessings. Take the sacrament every week, and hold fast to the perfecting promises of the Atonement of Jesus Christ. Believe in miracles. I have seen so many of them come when every other indication would say that hope was lost. Hope is never lost. If those miracles do not come soon or fully or seemingly at all, remember the Savior’s own anguished example: if the bitter cup does not pass, drink it and be strong, trusting in happier days ahead."- Jeffrey R. Holland, "Like a Broken Vessel"
Right now I am drinking of that bitter cup. I have done it before and I know I will do it again. It isn't what we wanted, it usually never is, but I know that it will be okay. I will be okay and my family will be okay. I will be strong and I will trust that the happy days are ahead. That there will be more pregnancies, and more importantly, more babies. I am grateful that Thanksgiving is this week and that I have even more reason to be focused on the blessings that I do have in my life. This small moment in time has already taught me so much, and I pray that I will continue to learn from it as we move forward. I can not deny the wonderful life I have been given, the abundant blessings around me, or the knowledge that I am never alone in my struggles. Just as the quote encourages, I have learned that it is always better to hope than to despair.


13 comments:
I'm sorry Taryn! I miscarried before Beckham and it was so heartbreaking for me. You are so strong and such a good example of holding strong no matter what. You are an inspiration to me!
Everyone handles miscarriages so differently. For some women they are devastating and for some they are not. My mom's only miscarriage was in a lot of ways a blessing because she wasn't ready for another baby at the time, so when I had my first miscarriage I was okay. But I have had 2 more since and the last one was really hard emotionally. Each time I have felt to trust in the Lord's timetable and because I had a healthy child after each miscarriage I have been able to see the wisdom in his timing. It is still hard to go through though. I feel for you.
I am so sorry, our heart breaks for you guys! Because of Heavenly Fathers plan we can all be together again. Someday we all will be able to run, walk, play, hug and kiss that sweet little spirit! For now we can just be comforted knowing papa Scott is doing that for us! love you guys!
I'm sorry, Taryn :( I can't even imagine how painful that would be. My prayers are with you and your cute family. Love you!
I love you friend. I am so sorry that you are going through this heartbreak. I am praying for you...
Thank you so much for sharing, Taryn. I appreciated that so much. I'm so sorry for your loss and so sorry for the pain that follows it. I hope and pray that "healing balm of Gilead" is felt and that you and your sweet family will feel the Savior by your sides. Give yourself a hug for me.
Oh sweetie! I am so sorry for you and Ryan! You are in my thoughts and I hope things get easier. Love you!
We are so sorry Taryn & Ryan. Our hearts are aching for your sweet little family. But, as we know, those sweet spirits will be reunited with our family and with Grandpa Scott and it will be such a happy reunion. Your words bring peace and comfort to all. We love you, Grandpa Norm & Grandma Tresa
So sorry Taryn! I lost 2 between my first two kids and its so so hard! Losing babies and working to get pregnant are some of the biggest heartaches and worries a mother can have!You put it so eloquently and I truly believe that we will get a chance to raise those spirits some day. Hold strong and trust in Him.
Thank you for this post! I just had a long conversation with my sister last night who was told for the second time that her in vitro did not work. So many of the things you wrote will be perfect for her. I am amazed by both of your strength!! Thank you for being such an amazing example. My heart and prayers go out to you.
Tar...I just read this! So sorry for your loss. You are a strong woman and I'm so thankful you were willing to share this. You're in my prayers. Love you.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings. You are amazing at putting them down in words! I'm so sorry for what you are going through, but am uplifted by your example of strength and faith in the Lord.
Taryn, my heart hurts that you had to experience that, but I am so impressed by your response to the trial. You're a blessing and example to us all. Sure love you, and your perfectly written words. xoxo
Post a Comment