Thursday, January 31, 2013

Recent Moments iLoved {January Edition}

Insta collage

Let’s be honest here, January can be brutal.  The post-holiday let-down, the freezing cold temperatures (I’m talking to you, Utah and Idaho), the sickness.  Blah.  It has never been at the top of my list when it comes to favorite times of the year.  But, come tomorrow morning we will have survived another one and we will be happily welcoming the month of love and all of the hearts, chocolate, and cheesiness that comes along with it.  We kept ourselves pretty busy this month doing the things that we love to do, and of course a few of things we don’t love quite as much.  We celebrated birthdays, played lots and lots of dress up, joined a gym, and managed to stay healthy up until this week when the runny noses and sore throats finally caught up to us.  Maybe January isn't so bad after all?

The beginning of January found us still putting together Christmas presents since it was absolutely necessary for nearly 90% of our gifts to stay in the box until we made it home.  Otherwise they would have stayed at grandmas and grandpas’ houses until our next visit and/or the purchase of a larger vehicle, and I don't know when either of these things is going to be happening.  It’s safe to say that our hard work has paid off as both the Barbie dream house and art easel have gotten good use during our pent up moments this month.

Cute little girls in matching outfits are always a good way to bring a little sunshine to the grey of winter.  I am pretty certain this picture is actually from New Year’s Eve, but that is close enough to January to make it into the collage, right?

Mr. Palmer had a birthday and got spoiled big time.  I put on my big girl panties, headed to Cabelas and bought him that very large gun all by myself.  Of course I had to read the email from my brother-in-law verbatim to ensure I got exactly what I was supposed to, but I left that day feeling like a real Montana woman.  I couldn't even wait for his birthday to arrive and ended up giving him his gift a week early so he could go break it in with some friends.  It was so fun to surprise him with something he wanted so much, but we have established that this in no way sets a precedence for what is expected in the gift giving department from now on.

I know I am biased, but man, I think my kids are beautiful.  Their amazing personalities and pure innocence just adds to that beauty, and I am so lucky to call them mine.  That leopard coat is also beautiful, and I wish I had one in every size so my children could wear them for the rest of their lives.

It’s never too disheartening for me to see the Christmas tree go or to pack up the stockings again until next year. But taking down those Christmas cards? Now that can really bring a tear to my eye.  We are so blessed to know so many wonderful people and seeing their smiling faces on my closet door reminds me of how lucky we are to have crossed paths with them at different points in our lives.

I love having sisters and I am so grateful that my girls will always have each other.  Their love for one another is so obvious and it makes my heart swell on a daily basis.  I couldn't have hoped for Stella to embrace her role as a big sister any better than she has, and I love watching her care for and love on her little sister.  You know that she must really love her if she is willing to share her ice cream, right?

The little one walks!  It took her a little longer than I was anticipating, but by mid-January she was cruising.  My favorite is right before bedtime, when she makes the journey from her bedroom to the bathtub and that little dimpled bum waddles down the hallway as fast as it can go.

Have I mentioned Stella is a diva?  If this girl does not grow up singing and dancing on stage I will be shocked.

Most of the time when my kids wake up at 5:30 am, we lay on the couch and watch Disney Jr. until it is time for an early morning nap.  This day I took advantage of the early hour and went to work.  I deep cleaned two bathrooms, did three loads of laundry, cleaned the kitchen, and got both girls ready for the day all before 10:30 am.  I then used their afternoon nap to watch Downton Abbey and eat chocolate, so don’t go thinking I was too productive that day.

Eliza has become attached to my hip the last few weeks (leaving her at the gym daycare has been an interesting experience), but I sure love this little cuddle bug.  Of course she is still a busy toddler (can I really call her that already???), but I cherish those moments of connection, especially when I place her blanket on my shoulder and she snuggles into the crook of my neck just before her nap or bedtime.  Please never let me forget these moments!

The hair is getting crazy, but I am loving that it is getting long enough for a little ponytail.  I am still hoping for a child with beautiful curls at some point, but until then I just try and force the issue on the ones I already have.  Sadly it just adds to the crazy and my husband just laughs at my failed attempts.

Remembering sweet conversations with my daughter and keeping the Instagram world up to date on my blogging endeavors.  January has given me new motivation to keep up with blogging, and I have managed to do pretty well this month if I do say so myself.

Caging the wild animals is a must on the days that daddy works late.  

I can’t believe my now big girl, Stella, was once that tiny 6 pound baby wearing a white bow.  She has brought so much love and happiness into my life every single day since the very first one.

Visiting dad at work is fun to do!  Especially when happy meals, spinning office chairs, and a treasure box full of prizes is involved.  It is still very weird to me that my husband actually has a job and is no longer a student.

Eliza is quickly (and not so quietly) developing some sass.  She doesn't just let her big sister run the show anymore and I can already foresee the drama in our future.  The teenage years should be lots of fun!

Stella and I gave building a birdhouse our best shot.  I can’t say the end result was pretty, but I am sure dad still loved his pink and purple painted birthday present nonetheless.  He’s nice like that.

I don’t know if the fact that her dad is a dentist has anything to do with it, but this girl loves to brush her teeth.  It is quite the battle to remove that toothbrush from her death grip every single night.  As soon as you mention it is time to brush teeth she is heading for the bathroom, signing “brush teeth” the entire way.  Also, aren't freshly bathed babies in pajamas the best thing ever?

Let’s end this January recap on a joyful note by sharing a moment of silence for the beauty that is Wednesday at the Palmer home.  Donuts for breakfast and daddy’s day off makes for a pretty good day indeed.

It’s been real, January.  See you next year!!!

1 comment:

Shell said...

Love this! Such cute pictures! Glad you made it through another January. :)