Somehow we have approximately 26 hours left in 2012. Somehow I have also only blogged once in December. This last month was a busy one, and I've come to realize that I enjoy life a little more when I am focused on living it rather than blogging it. I still love this little place; however, and plan to do my best to continue documenting our simple, wonderful lives throughout the New Year.
But first, let’s recap a few of my favorite December things. Before we headed to Utah/Idaho, we had an ugly sweater party, visited Santa at daddy’s work (where we once again tortured our child by putting her within a 20 foot radius of good ole’ St. Nick), and survived 7 hours straight of puking every half hour on the dot. Eliza and I suffered through the flu the Friday night and Saturday before leaving to Utah, and I was just praying that I would feel well enough to board an airplane by myself with two kids on Sunday morning. We did make it on the plane and we did make it Utah, but not without one child peeing her pants as we taxied on the runway (and it wasn't the one that wears a diaper), and barely making our connecting flight in Denver (maybe the extra money is worth the direct flight next time?). Stella was threatening to puke during landing, an activity we learned she was good at the last time she flew six months ago (sorry again, mom!), but thankfully kept it together until 10 pm that night when she took her turn with the family sickness. It was certainly an exhausting few days, but after our friend the flu bug headed out to find more victims we had a grand old time.
Just waiting for our flight to leave Billings and starting to panic that precious minutes were being cut from my already quick 30 minute layover.
Watching this girl sleep on the drive from SLC to Poky was an enjoyable way to pass the time.
So happy to be in town to attend baby Gibson’s blessing. Sam and Kyrsten held the blessing at my mom’s home in Pocatello, and it was a beautiful, intimate night.
A quick chat with my beautiful cousin Andrea and her baby boy, Leot. I admire this lady so much.
Back to Utah where Stella loved all the attention and fun she received from her Short family cousins. A movie and a bowl of Doritos is all it takes to keep these girlies happy.
Playing on the blow up mattress at Nana Joni’s before bedtime.
Reunited with our favorite Ohio cousin. I am pretty sure Harper seems a year older than Eliza, but maybe when my child decides she likes walking and growing hair things will even out a bit. We love and miss these folks so much!
Waiting to open presents from Nana Joni and Papa Paul during the Hansen/Short family party. It was our first Christmas as a new family, and while things were different than they have ever been in the past, like most things, it went better than I expected or even hoped.
Enjoying some time in Logan decorating sugar cookies with Nana Teresa, Aunt Ashlie, and BFF Brielle.
I am realizing just how horrible I was at taking pictures during this trip. I didn't even bring my real camera. Although I have no photo documentation to prove it, we were able to meet up with our dear friends from Ohio, the Jeppersons; make a quick visit to Benji and Anne’s new home; and spend a few nights in Logan playing with cousins and eating Café Sabor. Saturday morning we headed to Bear Lake for our annual Christmas escape and gift exchange. Our time spent there never disappoints and this time was no different. Stella loved watching Brave with her Great Grandma Carole and Ryan loved bringing the coveted machete to the swap.
Logan Canyon was absolutely beautiful. Most definitely freezing, but stunning as long as I was safe in my warm car.
A beautiful and hilarious baby face.
Attempting cousin pictures. Notice Gibson’s lack of neck strength and Leot’s attempt to drown out the crazy adults singing and whistling in an attempt to get all five children to look at the same camera at once.
From Bear Lake we headed back to Pocatello where, while different than ever before, we enjoyed our new traditions and time with our Hansen family. It was the first year without the big Hansen family sleepover, and while it is sad to see this tradition evolve into something new, it is just part of life. The year 2012 brought all of us a lot of change and adapting, but such is life and it seems far better to embrace it than to let it make you bitter or angry. Instead of sleeping over with all of my cousins, we spent Christmas Eve night at my mom’s house with my siblings, mom, and Paul. It was our first Christmas all together in two years and it was great to be surrounded by the people I love the most.
A little Hansen family nativity scene. Somehow Jace became Joseph with a turban, Eliza was trying to pull her paper star off her chest the entire time, and Stella was not only an angel, but a dancing angel (of course). It’s the thought that counts?
Dad’s Dinner. It is a special few hours that we get to spend eating his favorite foods and sharing our favorite memories. Life, and especially the fun stuff, is just not the same with out him.
A little Christmas Eve gift opening. We like to make Christmas last for days in our family.
Stella’s giant barbie house from Nana J and Paul. The “barbie house from Costco” was specifically on her wish list, so she was pretty excited about this one. Although she was then expecting yet another dollhouse from Santa the next morning. To avoid tears and frustration Santa decided to set up his presents near her already opened dollhouse later that night. It seemed to work well.
A grandma and her grand babies, who most people mistake for her own children. Hoping those genes were passed to me.
It’s me! With my presents- essential oils and lovely scarf...I’m a hippie.
Sisters in matching Christmas pajamas. They don’t like to look at the camera when I try and take their pictures 20 times per day. Imagine that.
‘Twas the night before Christmas…
Santa! I know him.
As you can see, Christmas was a smashing success. All Stella ever wanted was a $25 Minnie’s Bowtique shopping cart and cash register that she saw once at Costco over two months ago. I swear, that memory of hers. It wasn't part of the Christmas gift plan/spreadsheet, but Santa thankfully took note and made a little girl’s dream come true. After enjoying a couple of hours of Christmas morning fun, we headed out for some Hansen family breakfast casserole, and then made the trek up north to finish our trip in Logan with the Palmers.
I think she is pleased with all the loot.
A poor attempt at a Christmas morning family photo.
Great grandma Carole and Grandpa Marv came to watch the kids on Christmas morning and someone got wrangled into reading a little Fancy Nancy Christmas to Miss Stella. I think they both enjoyed themselves.
Eliza stealing Stella’s toys and all of the stocking treats, two things she does very well.
Chocolate cake for breakfast. Why not, it is Christmas after all!
A Christmas Cache Valley inversion.
Christmas lunch at great grandma Hamilton’s house.
Christmas presents from Nana Teresa and Papa Jeff. They were waiting for us when we returned to Billings on the 26th. Good thing, since there was literally one inch of space left in our car on the way home.
Girls in matching tutus. One of these days there will be a grandson to shake things up a bit.
We really weren't planning on being able to be home for Christmas this year. Ryan got very, very lucky with his schedule and so we decided to make it work. It may be the only thing I miss about dental school, but those three week winter breaks sure were nice. Before we had even left to head back to Billings, we had put over 1,000 miles on our car in just this one trip. It is not a relaxing break when we head home for the holidays, but in the end it is always worth the chaos and travel. Family is what it is all about. Nothing else in this life really matters, and we are so lucky to have such great people in our clan. Most of all, I am grateful to that little baby born in Bethlehem who grew up to save the world and make it possible for that crazy family of mine to be together forever.
1 comment:
love all your Christmas adventures. that is funny about Stella thinking she was going to get another doll house, silly girl. Good think Santa is so smart!
Post a Comment