Monday, July 9, 2012

Land That I Love


I feel so blessed to live in the country that I do.
We enjoy majestic mountains, hard fought liberties, and the ability to follow and achieve our dreams.
Sure this place has it's faults; our government is far from perfect, there is too much poverty in our streets, and many other things could be improved to make our country better as a whole.
I hope I am doing my part to be a productive citizen and to better the community in which I live.
There are far too many people in the world who will never have the opportunities I take for granted nearly every single day.


Independence day has become synonymous with Island Park in the Hansen family.
In the days leading up to and after the Fourth of July you are certain to find us there, spending as much time together as is possible.  Schedules are crazy and travel is required, so the party is always a steady stream of comings and goings, but the important part is that we get to spend time together in a beautiful place.

I was able to enjoy a few hours to myself running through the towering pine trees and feeling so grateful for the beauty of this earth.
Running was easy with the forest as my backdrop and I now wish I could run those trails every day.





Aa I relfect on the memories and pictures of our latest visit, all signs point to a very successful Island Park getaway.
There were large amounts of calories consumed, adventures at every turn, cousins to roll play in the dirt with, and four wheeler rides that lulled exhausted little ones right to sleep.
Yes, it was a grand time indeed.







We busted out the Yellowstone PJ's Stella wore during our last visit two years ago.
I must admit those pajamas bring back quite the flood of memories as that visit was also my dad's final time at this place he loved so much.


It was obvious he was the something missing this time around, and I am not sure it will ever feel the same with out him there.
We are glad Paul was able to join the fun this year, and that he understands the complexity of the situation and just wants everyone to be happy and comfortable.
Sometimes this new life we are leading is a tricky one.



We visited Big Springs where the seagulls seem to have overtaken the fish and became the only wildlife we saw during our stay.
Eliza enjoyed it regardless, and Stella was happy to get the chance to dip her toes in the frigid waters.
I really need to savor these moments when the entertainment comes easy and free.





And no trip to I.P. is complete with out pizza, ice cream, and a trip to the West Yellowstone dollar store with two bucks in your pocket from Grandpa Norm.
Stella came away with the strange, yet perfect, combination of dinosaur figurines and a mermaid with long flowing locks and a brush to comb her hair.  Those dinos got us through a good two hours of our four hour car ride home.

Oh yes, we can't forget Brittany's fashion statement.  Always turning heads, that one.





We had to head home on Monday, but Island Park was a good warm up to the rest of our holiday fun.
Wednesday, the actual 4th of July, was spent dressed in our best patriotic garb while hitting up pancake breakfasts, small town parades, and a BBQ with Ryan's co-workers.
Fun was had by all (maybe a little too much by Ryan) and at the end of the day we felt as proud to be Americans as ever.



6 comments:

Britni said...

Looks super fun! I love that your family has such fun traditions for these holidays!

Leah said...

Glad you guys had a great fourth! Isn't it amazing how each year those traditions get more and more meaningful as you add the memories from years past? Those girls of yours just get cuter and cuter!

Karly & Greg Palmer said...

Looks like you guys are having an eventful summer! Hope you are enjoying Montana :) miss you guys!

The Millers said...

Oh how I love summer and the 4th of July is the epitome of summer. Glad you did it right!

Shell said...

So fun! I love that you can drive only 4 hours to get to Island Park! WHat a good day. I miss you.

The Sissies said...

Um.... haha. Right when I thought Brittany's picture was far too priceless to get any better, I noticed a little hand coming up from the bottom. Hahaha. As Modern Family says, private parts are private.