On March 17, my dear old dad would have turned fifty-one years young.
So what did I do to celebrate? I ran my first ever official race.
It probably wasn't much for most of you out there, but it was an accomplishment for me.
For five miles I moved my legs forward, I turned up the volume on my Ipod, and I thought of him.
And those thoughts and memories and tears kept me going.
I think I found my new outlet for honoring my great dad.
I hope to be able to run some sort of race each year in honor of his fight and his life.
Because the way he lived his life and the determination he showed when things were really hard are the perfect motivation.
I could picture his face, his laugh, his voice; all encouraging me to keep going, keep running.
And even though it was only five miles there were a few moments I did want to quite. The sun and heat were bearing down on me, my legs were burning and I wanted to stop.
But he didn't, so I couldn't.
I am so grateful for an able body that can do such things.
The best part about that day was that I wasn't alone.
I had some amazing friends who ran with me, who encouraged me to keep going. Who proudly sported their "51" wristbands and surprised me with the perfect tribute to my dad: cokes and a birthday balloon release at the end of the race.
I had a mom and sisters and friends across the country calling before and after my simple race to encourage me and say how proud of me they were.
I had my own fan club waiting at the finish line. Ryan kept bugging me to leave him the address of the race so they could come, and honestly I felt silly thinking of them waiting at the finish line for such a simple little race. But when I saw them waiting it was the best feeling. They were there because they love me and they were proud of me and they knew what this race meant to me.
And I know someone else was with me, too.
I felt my dad close to me, I felt that he was proud of me.
I wish he was here. I wish we could celebrate his birthday by running a race together. But I am grateful for these chances to feel him near and to celebrate his life and his heroic fight.
Happy birthday, dad! Love you forever!





8 comments:
I'm so proud of you!! That was a perfect way to remember Scott. You are an inspiration to each of us. We ate Jimmy johns to celebrate his life. I love you Taryn! I know your dad would be so proud of you for all your accomplishments and for the beautiful woman, wife and mother your are!
Way to go Taryn!!!!
LOVE this. Such a beautiful tribute to your dad.
And can I just say that you look FANTASTIC-- wow-- seriously- you did not just have a baby a few months ago!
You did SO amazing! You can do a marathon in your sleep!
I know your dad was proud!
P.S. we need to seriously, seriously catch up! I can't wait to hear about the deets of the "saints"....not gonna lie, I'm still a little devastated we missed out!:(
That was a great way to spend the day. Glad you and fun and so glad you had good friends to help you celebrate your dad. Keep running so we can do top of utah together!!!!
5 miles is a huge accomplishment! Good for you. You look totally fabulous by the way!
I just love your little tush! Such a great way to celebrate Scottie's Bday. I know most people wear green for Saint Patty's day, but WE wear green to remember him. Miss that little cutie.
You are seriously too cute, Taryn! That sounded like a great way to celebrate your dad. And it looks like you have some pretty amazing friends there for support!
Post a Comment