Most of the time I know what my day will consist of, what I am going to cook for dinner that night, and which activities will consume the hours of my weekend.
I try to live my life as a good person would.
I believe in God and Jesus Christ, and do what I can to be a righteous follower.
I go to church, keep the commandments, and try to serve others.
I went to college and received an education.
I married a smart, funny, driven man who loves me.
We spent a few years enjoying married life together, traveling and having adventures.
Next we brought a beautiful baby girl into the mix and are preparing for round two.
It all makes sense most days.
I followed the path that seemed and felt right to me, and my life is abundantly blessed because of it.
But as I am ever learning, life is not meant to be lived on a straight, perfectly paved and landscaped path.
While there are moments where the ease of downhill walking and fresh flowers make life simple and understandable, those moments aren't meant to occupy the entirety of our existence.
I have already experienced hard things in my life, things that I never imagined I would face or that I would make it through, and unfortunately I know hard things are still to come.
Friends who I love dearly are struggling with trials that seem unimaginable.
And when it really comes down to it all of these stresses and events make me realize I have absolutely nothing figured out.
I have so many questions about the whys and the whos and the hows of this life.
Often times the hardest part of it all is that most of those all important questions have no apparent answers, or at least none that we will learn here in this life.
Why do people get sick?
Why do babies die?
Why do marriages end in anguish?
I tell myself that someday we will understand.
Someday it will all make sense.
Repeat as necessary.
I have been doing some reading in an effort to find a little solace for myself, as well as maybe a sliver to share with those who need it most in this moment.
This quote by B.H. Roberts, a dear friend of our Prophet Joseph Smith, puts a little bit of the struggle into perspective for me:
"Some of the lowliest walks in life, the paths which lead into the deepest valleys of sorrow and up to the most rugged steeps of adversity, are the ones which, if a man travel in, will best accomplish the object of his existence in this world...The conditions which place men where they may always walk on the unbroken plain of prosperity and seek for nothing but their own pleasure, are not the best within the gift of God. For in such circumstances men soon drop into a position analogous to the stagnant pool; while those who have to contend with difficulties, brave dangers, endure disappointments, struggle with sorrows, eat the bread of adversity and drink the water of affliction, develop a moral and spiritual strength, together with a purity of life and character, unknown to the heirs of ease and wealth and pleasure. With the English bard, therefore, I believe: Sweet are the uses of adversity!"
Perhaps these trials that cripple us with despair are to, in the end, build us up in a purity that will help us on our journey to be more God-like.
Through these experiences comes unwavering faith or a shattered testimony; a knowledge that God loves us or an anger towards Him that can not be quelled.
In the end it us up to us to decide how these trials will shape our eternal future.
This knowledge that all things will be for our good often doesn't make the trial itself make more sense, or the grief for a father or child any less real.
Life is going to continue on with more of these unanswered questions.
There will always be a reason to ask why.
All I can hold onto are the glimmers of understanding that come in the moments when I need them the most, whether that means they come as I am searching the words of teachers and prophets or as sweet whispering of the Spirit.
For now I will do my best to patiently wait for my answers.

7 comments:
Taryn, thank you for sharing these beautiful thoughts. You’re right that our knowledge doesn’t make sense of something senseless, or lessen our grief, but for me it brings comfort and peace. Knowing that ALL things work for our good gives me a sure foundation, without which stress, worry, and confusion would run rampant. But I have the assurance that Heavenly Father knows ME, and has a plan for me. In fact, the very existence of difficult challenges in my life, tells me how much my Heavenly Father loves me ~ as He sits as a “refiner.” The thing I desire most is to be like my Savior. Heavenly Father loves me enough to provide me with the opportunities to become like Him. I’m so glad that I don’t have to make sense of the senseless ~ I just get to put my trust in Him, and let the Atonement lift my burdens when I can’t carry them.
Taryn, You are an amazing woman. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I always hope I can be better at writing things and expressing my feelings as you and Heather are. I love this post... you are a very bright young woman. I love how you said even if we don't understand the why's and such we will understand some day. things will come together. There is a plan. Thanks again!!
Man, isn't life crazy. Mine's been quite unsettled for almost two years. We had a brief respite last year for a few months but then it got even crazier. I truly feel that God has given me this time to prepare for being a parent. I went through something similar prior to my mission and it got me into a place spiritually that prepared me for my mission. There is always a reason for it, but hindsight often makes it more clear.
BTW-our baby is coming in October. :) I was really excited to see your announcement, now we can be baby buddies even though you'll certainly have more experience.
I think your second to last paragraph should be a quote in a conference Ensign. You are so inspiring and have a gift with words. Thanks for sharing. Love ya.
Taryn,
You are the woman. Honestly, you should write a book, be a sindicated writer, or SOMETHING! I love you and CAN'T WAIT until you guys come next month!
Thank you Taryn, that is a beautiful and honest post. I sometimes ask why too, but I know that I will never understand all the why's, I can only trust that the plan is true...without that plan we could not bear the trials we are asked to go through. You are an amazing woman and a great friend to my daughter and I love you for that.
I think it was a gift from above that you stumbled across my blog a while ago because I needed to read your words today. And I've been meaning to tell you thank you for that sweet comment you left! What an incredible quote from B.H. Roberts. Sometimes through difficult moments I think "I know God loves me" like that's not enough and I am expecting more insight and knowledge to come from my trial. But I forget that for most people in the world to know that God loves each one of them personally as a son or daughter is life altering.
I enjoyed and was uplifted by your insights on such an important subject. Thanks. :)
Post a Comment