Yes, he really caught that ball during batting practice at Wrigley Field
Grief is...interesting.
I haven't quite figured it out yet.
Three months later and I still don't know how I should feel.
Today, well the past few I guess, I have been feeling a little more sad.
Gosh I miss him. A lot of times it feels like the missing I have been doing the past three years.
Since I normally wouldn't see him for up to 6 months at a time it kind of just feels like that.
But then I remember that he won't be there when I go back.
That I won't get to laugh with him or listen to him sing songs to Stella or open presents with him on Christmas morning.
And remembering those things hurts. A lot.
I have noticed I miss him most at certain times during the day or week. I don't know why. I am sure they are just the moments that I allow myself to "go there", because I am alone or because I just can't ignore it for one more second.
I think I try to ignore it.
Thoughts will come into my head about him being gone, about those last few days, or about what he is doing now and for some reason I find myself quickly pushing them out of my mind as soon as they enter.
It is like if I don't think about it then it isn't really true.
But then I feel almost guilty. I should think about him more. I should let myself miss him more. I don't cry enough. I am not allowing myself special moments to feel him near.
Like I said, grief is interesting. And it's not really a good interesting in case you were wondering.
I miss him most on Sundays.
Something about that day (maybe it's the {hopefully} added measure of the spirit, or the things we talk about in church like eternal families and such, or the fact that Sunday has always been a day for families), something about all of those things wrapped up into one day makes me long to talk to him.
I miss him when I am listening to music.
My dad loved to sing. He was actually quite good, too.
He loved Journey, The Eagles, musicals, Josh Groban, Elton John, and many more.
Some of my most vivid memories with him involve singing in the car.
He had a cassette tape of The Bodyguard soundtrack when I was younger and I can remember sitting in the parking lot of Winco singing to that tape with him.
In my 1st grade school program we sang "I Just Called to Say I Love You" and I was so excited because me and my dad always sang that together when it would come on the radio.
One of my favorite songs is "Open Arms" and I am pretty sure it is because my dad loved it so much.
Now there are songs that have extra meaning, like the ones we used for the memorial video montage or "God on High", from Les Mis that was playing as his casket was taken out of the chapel at the end of his funeral.
Even though those songs invoke so many emotions I am glad I have a few more songs that will always make me think of my dad.
I miss him a lot when I am cleaning.
I think this has to do with being alone with my thoughts in a quiet house.
Sometimes when I am scrubbing the floor is the best time to let the tears out.
I miss him when I am reading stories to Stella or singing her a song before nap time.
My thoughts pretty much always drift to my dad at those moments.
The other day I pulled out a book to read Stella called Guess How Much I Love You, it was given to me by my parents in 1998 and inside was little note from them reminding me how much I was loved.
As soon as I saw the inscription my emotions got the better of me. I couldn't get through the first page with out getting choked up and I still can't. It does make me happy that I can share that special book with Stella, though.
My dad loved singing to Stella. His song of choice has always been "Skidamarink", but I like to think of it as he and Stella's special song.
When Stella was born my dad wasn't able to fly out to meet her right away. Of course we Skyped the day she was born and talked on the phone lots, but to be honest my heart was breaking just a little knowing he wasn't there to hold my sweet little girl.
After a few days he couldn't take it any longer, he had to sing Skidamarink to her. So we put the phone on speaker and listened through tears as he sang that special song like no one else could.
Now it is a hard song for me to sing to her, but I try every once in a while, especially on those evenings she just can't seem to settle down.
***
Last night I was reading in 2 Nephi about just before Lehi died. He knew his time was drawing to an end and he took those last moments to call his family together and give them words of encouragement, advice, and blessings. He urged them to be faithful and obedient, to cling to their families, to love God.
It reminded me so much of the last days we spent with Dad.
He truly brought our family together. When I arrived in Pocatello I was greeted not only by my mom and siblings, but by grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. We were all there to say goodbye and make sure he knew we loved him, but he made sure we knew he loved us and that he wasn't afraid.
His last words to his children were much like Lehi's. He urged us to be faithful and loving and to press forward with faith. He blessed us with courage and comfort and peace.
I am so grateful I have those blessings to recall. That during the moments when I miss him most I can think about how many times he told me he loved me and always would. That I can know that I will eventually feel the peace and comfort and courage he promised would come.
As soon as I saw the inscription my emotions got the better of me. I couldn't get through the first page with out getting choked up and I still can't. It does make me happy that I can share that special book with Stella, though.
My dad loved singing to Stella. His song of choice has always been "Skidamarink", but I like to think of it as he and Stella's special song.
When Stella was born my dad wasn't able to fly out to meet her right away. Of course we Skyped the day she was born and talked on the phone lots, but to be honest my heart was breaking just a little knowing he wasn't there to hold my sweet little girl.
After a few days he couldn't take it any longer, he had to sing Skidamarink to her. So we put the phone on speaker and listened through tears as he sang that special song like no one else could.
Now it is a hard song for me to sing to her, but I try every once in a while, especially on those evenings she just can't seem to settle down.
***
Last night I was reading in 2 Nephi about just before Lehi died. He knew his time was drawing to an end and he took those last moments to call his family together and give them words of encouragement, advice, and blessings. He urged them to be faithful and obedient, to cling to their families, to love God.
It reminded me so much of the last days we spent with Dad.
He truly brought our family together. When I arrived in Pocatello I was greeted not only by my mom and siblings, but by grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. We were all there to say goodbye and make sure he knew we loved him, but he made sure we knew he loved us and that he wasn't afraid.
His last words to his children were much like Lehi's. He urged us to be faithful and loving and to press forward with faith. He blessed us with courage and comfort and peace.
I am so grateful I have those blessings to recall. That during the moments when I miss him most I can think about how many times he told me he loved me and always would. That I can know that I will eventually feel the peace and comfort and courage he promised would come.

14 comments:
You're amazing, thanks again for sharing your sweet thoughts. You make me miss your dad too:) You're in my thoughts and prayers...love ya!
Tar. You have no idea how much I needed to read that.. It seriously explains how I feel. I've been having a rough week with everything and missing him. It still doesn't seem real, but I miss just being able to talk to him. I'll always have the memories though. I love you and miss you! Call me if you ever just wanna cry :) I like crying.. It's my new favorite thing!
Your posts always amaze me! I think crying can be good therapy. I am sorry you are so sad, but you are an amazingly strong woman Taryn. Skidamarink is a song I too shared with my dad. xoxo
I found your blog after your left a comment on mine---wow-- what a beautful post. I completely cried as I read it. My heart hurts for you-- Even though it's been 15 years- I can still very vividly remember how it felt that first little while--all the "first" holidays etc. Sundays were always harder for me too. My dad sang too-one of my most favorite memories.-I am so sorry. He sounds like an incredible person-and a wonderful dad and grandpa and you're evidence of that.- You're in my prayers-
Thanks Taryn. I feel like I look at life more clearly when I read some of your posts. It was so nice seeing you so often lately. Have a great week, and see you next craft group!
Beautiful post. You never cease to amaze me. Don't be so hard on yourself, there is no manual on the right way to grieve. You do what you need to do. May The Lord continue to bless you and your family with peace. I am certain your father is watching over you. I know he is in awe of the strength and faith you exhibit every day.
Taryn, wow. I just so bad wish that I could express my feelings like you. Every word and feelings that you are experiencing are exactly how we all feel here. I mostly think of him when I am driving because it is quiet. For some reason this week has been a little harder for me too. Just keep writing about all you feel because i don't know how. Thank you so much. I love you so much and i know that dad smiles down on you constantly. He is so proud of you and your abilities. I love you, mom
Taryn... you are so amazing. I know we only just met, but somehow I feel like we have known each other longer. You post was so beautiful. I can't imagine what you are going through and it amazes me how strong and brave you are. You are such a wonderful mom to Stella and I am sure your dad watches you everyday and is just so proud of the mom, daughter, wife, and friend you are to those around you. You have been such a lifesaver for me as I moved out here and didn't know anyone or have any friends... I am so grateful that you are my friend and I want you to know that anytime you wanna talk, hang out, or if you just need a minute to be alone- I can watch Stella anytime. Thanks again for this post- it was really special to read about your memories of your dad... he sounds like he is a really great dad and grandpa.
Thanks for posting this. What I've been struggling with lately isn't quite the same but your post sure helped me put some of my own thoughts in order. I love your posts they're always so thoughtful, so thanks again.
Taryn - love the post. Made me cry. We are so blessed with the knowledge of families being forever, but our earth life is still hard. Your dad seems like an amazing guy.
Wow Taryn. Thinking of you and praying for you and your fam. God be with you girl!
Here I am sitting at Davis School District in my FSSM rotation and bawling. Girl, you are so spiritual and I'm in awe of your strength. Grief is interesting, but you're dealing with it by sharing your feelings with us. Writing things out help me so much and I appreciate your willingness to put it all out there and let us feel what you feel. I'm so sorry for your sorrow and pain and I know Heavenly Father and His Son are there every step of the way to comfort you and give strength. Thank goodness for the plan of salvation and families! How would we make it!!! Just know that I'm praying for you and thank you for your amazing testimony and strength.
I love you, I'm sorry you have to hurt, but I'm glad you are willing to share it with us.
Taryn, you are amazing. Grief is a wonder. It can strike when you least expect it. What I have learned is that you can't go around it, you have to go through it. So let yourself cry and think and remember and feel those moments.
I STILL wonder if there is an end to grief, but I know that as we face it head on, it gets a little easier to handle and makes our faith a lot stronger.
I miss your pops. He was the best! Love you!
Post a Comment