Monday, November 29, 2010

I'm a Big Girl Now


You know those "rite of passage" type events that truly make you an adult?  Well this past weekend we experienced one...we cooked our own Thanksgiving turkey! 
I was slightly stressed at the thought of that cold, naked bird waiting for me in the refrigerator, but in the end it turned out quite well. 
I am officially a grown up!

Of course last Thursday brought us Thanksgiving, but it also brought the 4 month mark of my dad's passing.  I am sure eventually I won't be counting each passing month to the date (actually, I really have no idea if I will ever stop doing that), but having it fall on a day that would was going to be hard regardless made it just that much more bitter.
If Dad were still alive I still most likely wouldn't have spent the holiday with him, but his absence was still heavily felt in each of our hearts.  Thankfully, each of us were with people we love who helped to ease our sadness even just a little bit.

We also missed Elder Hansen and are eager to speak to him as we enjoy the next big holiday as a family.  From the letter we received today it sounds like Jace's first Bolivian holiday was spent cooking his companion some gourmet spaghetti while swatting away the mosquito's. 
This year truly brought a brand new type of Thanksgiving for all of us!

So while the day was indeed a hard one with a completely different set of emotions than we are normally used to experiencing on the day of thanks, we still found LOTS to be thankful for.
And in no particular order, here are just a few of them:

The best company (and help) that one might find this side of the Mississippi.  Brian and Shelley made the trek from Connecticut to spend the Holiday with us (and maybe so Brian could attend a certain Big 10 Rivalry game); and Uncle Taylor traded the Blizzard of 2010 for a cold, rainy weekend visiting his favorite Ohioans (okay, maybe he was most looking forward to the game as well).


I may be speaking for both of us here, but I think Shelley and I enjoyed our time in the kitchen more than either of us expected.  Wednesday night and Thursday morning were spent chopping, peeling, and baking up a storm, but with non-stop conversation and laughs it made for a great time.
Plus we got to use my shiny, new Christmas gift which resulted in some delicious rolls and a new item being added to Shell's wish list.
 

Thanksgiving 2010 brought another special guest to our table- the nicest dishes I own and had never before used.  They really aren't anything too special, but it was fun to try and fancy up my table with a little gold trim.
Too bad our seating arrangements aren't entirely conducive to large parties or having more than four plates on our table at any one time. 
We made it work though and, most importantly, we made it look pretty while doing it.


Um, of course I couldn't not mention the food.
Isn't that what Thanksgiving is all about?  No?  Right, it is about being thankful and as I have mentioned I have so much to be thankful for, but for me one of those little blessings just happens to be food.
I really like to cook and I really, really like to eat.
As being one of the only two cooks for this year's feast there was a lot to do, especially because I was tackling homemade everything.  Homemade rolls, stuffing, green been casserole (with a cream sauce made from scratch), desserts, jello (does that count?), and potatoes of every variety.  Last but not least we can't forget about the main event- the two hour, buttered brown bag turkey.
We were so proud.




While the constant adult interaction did do my soul quite a bit of good, our little babes still stole the show.
Stella and Thad had fun sharing toys, germs, and a few tears; none of which were surprising considering two little ones spending 4 days straight with one another.
The only surprises came from Stella in the form of one very late Thanksgiving eve night (read an eventual bedtime of 4:30 am) and an attempt to scale the stairs.  She is officially EVERYWHERE!


Football was experienced from both the comforts of home and a packed stadium full of over 100,000 scarlet and grey clad football fans.
Somehow a few extra Ohio State vs Michigan tickets were scrounged up allowing all of the boys to experience "The Game" firsthand.
We are thankful (albeit not surprised) that they won and should be heading to a BCS bowl game rather soon.


While all the conversation, food, and sports were absolutely wonderful, the best part of this Thanksgiving was experiencing it for the first time with our little Stella Rose.
Of all my many blessings I think I am most thankful for these two.  Simply put, my life would not be nearly as complete without them in it.

Happy (late) Thanksgiving!

7 comments:

Shell said...

We really had such a great weekend! We love you guys and I'm so glad we could become grown ups together;-) You are such a great hostess and we really have 2 of the cutest kids on the planet! Tell Stellar thanks again for sharing and being such a great friend, we really love that sweet girl! Good luck with your travels this week...can't wait to see you so soon:)

Britni said...

Glad you guys had a great holiday! I am quite impressed you made everything from scratch...what a woman! I can't believe you guys are leaving so darn soon!

sam and kyrsten said...

wow wow wow! i am impressed! you are a grown up! i love your new christmas present! i love that little stellar too! it looks like you guys had lots and lots of fun! YAYYAYAY! i get to see you guys this week! :)

holli said...

Great job Taryn! You are an amazing woman with some great cooking skills! Welcome to adulthood and I'm glad you got to use your finest settings, that always makes it seem more special! :)

Ashley J @ MommyByDayCrafterByNight said...

Wow! I am impressed!!! Your table looked wonderful, your food looked yummy, and your shiny new Christmas present looks great on your countertop! Glad you guys had so much fun!!! Only a few days till you go home!!! YAY!

Jace and Steph Ovard said...

okay you are too cute, #1 I love your lace shirt! and the #2 food looks yummy :) #3 your family is adorable and #4 I think I have the exact same china set as you too :)

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful turkey-and feast. My first turkey didn't look that amazing so awesome job!
Congrats also on getting a kitchenaid (I got one for my birthday and I bet you love yours as much as I love mine) and good luck on all the fun things you are going to make with it.
Glad that you had so many loved ones around for the holidays.
I am so sorry to hear about your father. That is so hard and you are in my thoughts this holiday season.
Take care and enjoy those things you are thankful for, as they will continue to come and grow in size and number.