So technically it is now Friday in Ohio, although lucky for me I think my blog is set on the West Coast time zone for some reason which makes this officially my Thursday thankful post!
And do you know what I am thankful for tonight?
Being inside my warm house, in warm comfy pajamas, with a warm blanket wrapped around my ice cold feet.
I am especially thankful for those things due to the fact that I just spent the last 45 minutes of my life in the freezing cold, pounding on my front door in the hopes that my husband would awake from the dead and let me in.
That's right, I was locked out.
Tonight was the glorious craft night I share with 16 other fabulous ladies from church. We eat, we craft, we laugh...tonight we actually sewed which is basically a swear word to me so I felt pretty proud of the fact that I walked away with one finished little bag. It may have been half the size it was intended to be, but after 4.5 short hours I walked away with a bag and that is a victory to me.
After a wonderful night of fun my new (and now favorite) friend Ashley drove me home to a dark, locked house. I had a feeling I should have taken my keys when I left, but of course, I didn't. The result was forty five minutes of pounding on the front door, making phone calls to a cell phone set on vibrate, using a credit card in hopes of breaking in, "trying" to throw tree bark at a window nearly 15 feet up, and even an attempt to acquire the master key from the landlord (who didn't answer the door at midnight, although I am pretty sure they were awake).
Eventually my wonderful neighbor, Mariam, poked her head out of the house to determine what all the racket was from and we came up with the idea to knock on the bedroom wall that we share.
That finally did the trick and woke Ryan up in time to answer my 1,000th phone call.
His response was "You can just unlock it..."
Um...actually, I can't.
Or I probably would have done that an hour ago.
Needless to say I am now enjoying the comforts of my humble abode.
I have never loved my industrial carpet and so flat-that-it-shows-every-fingerprint-or-scuff-mark wall paint more.
But really, I am very thankful to have four walls and a roof over of my head. I know that a lot of people would be more than happy to have a nice house or apartment to even be locked out of.
It is amazing how much I really do take for granted in my life.
So even though some days I feel bad that I don't yet own a cute little house in the perfect neighborhood, or have the latest throw pillows from Pottery Barn adorning my couch, tonight I am extremely grateful to simply be inside the warm and cozy place I get to call home right now.

7 comments:
Tar, that is so funny! I bet it wasn't funny while it was happening, but it's a good story now. I can't believe Ryan sleeps that deep. Who know what would have happened if Stellar was crying;-) You are awesome and that was a good reminder that we don't have to have the most stylish things under our roof just as long as we have one.
That just happened to me on Tuesday night. But luckily it wasn't for as long. 45 min. Yikes!
Poor girl! I'm glad you got in! I am grateful for warm houses too. Some nights it has already started getting so flippin cold and it's supposed to get colder? What?! p.s. Love your blog!
oh, no. I love how Ryan said "you could just unlock it." ha! thats something chris would say.
glad you got in . . . eventually. and that you didn't wake stella in the process is impressive!
hahaha... thank goodness for neighbors! :)
ha ha!!!!!!! What a night we had! Even though it was a little a stressful at the moment- it was pretty fun trying to figure out how to get you in! Thank goodness Ryan woke up! :)
Looking back on all the "humble abodes" we've had, I miss them all for the different memories they hold. Your place there will carry many memories for your little family!
Post a Comment