Saturday, November 13, 2010

Eternally Grateful


After one week of counting my many blessings, I have to acknowledge that everything I have to be thankful for truly goes back to one thing:
The Gospel and it's ability to give me an eternal perspective.

I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I could not have gotten through this year with my sanity and happiness in tact without that perspective.

The Gospel of Jesus Christ brings light to every situation.
It makes the tough choices more simple, the hard days a little easier to bear, and provides hope in the face of tragedy.

Because of an eternal perspective I know that even when marriage is hard, it is worth fighting for.  That even though most people here in Ohio can't understand why I got married so young or why I would even want to get married at all, I understand the blessings that come from having an eternal companion and that having him by my side to enjoy the good times and hold me up through the bad is one of the sweetest blessings in life.

While my husband, family, and friends have done so much to help sustain me during these last few months, nothing is pulling me forward more than my eternal perspective.
How do people move past the disbelief, anger, and unknown associated with the loss of a loved one without the Gospel?  I simply can't comprehend experiencing such a tragedy without knowing what I know.
Because what I know is that I am going to see my dad again, and that we are going to be reunited after we have each completed our earthly course and live together as a family for eternity.
I know that my dad is happy and at peace and busy doing the Lord's work on the other side.
I know that my Heavenly Father and Savior, Jesus Christ, are aware of my sorrow and helplessness and will do all they can to calm my troubled heart.


An eternal perspective helps me to keep focus on what really matters.
Living outside of the "Mormon Bubble" really opens your eyes to the ways of the world.
Here the important things are money, career, prestige, adventure, fun.
Of course none of those things are bad, but do they deserve a top spot on a list of what is really important in life?
Sometimes I find myself wondering if they do.  Wouldn't life just be easier if I worked?  Wouldn't life just be easier if I only had one kid?  Wouldn't life be more fun if I was still single and could go out partying with my single friends?
Honestly, I don't think so.  Those thoughts might invade my senses now and again, but then I remember how lucky I am to know the truth.  To be living the truth.
Sure money and power and fun bring some happiness to life, but as soon as those things are gone so is the conditional joy that they brought.
My eternal perspective reminds me that the Gospel, my husband, my children, and my lifestyle will be the things that bring me ultimate happiness.

This week of gratitude has helped me refocus a little bit.
I have been reminded that although life is hard, it is good.
There is beauty, happiness, and goodness all around me today, tomorrow, and forever; and for that I will always be eternally grateful. 

3 comments:

The Millers said...

We are lucky to have the gospel in our lives. It is great that when we center our lives around Christ that our priorities sort themselves out and we can find true happiness.

Ashley J @ MommyByDayCrafterByNight said...

I agree with everything you said... I am so grateful to be a member of the church. I am so grateful to have an eternal family. Living outside of Utah for even just a couple months has really opened my eyes and made me realize how much I took for granted having all my neighbors and those around me members of the church... It makes me feel like I really have a biggger responsibility and opportunity to share the gospel. When I think about that responsibility, it makes me nervous- I can count on one hand the number of times I have shared the gospel with someone... But on the other hand, the gospel is something that I consider my greatest treasure, besides my family of course, and I want others who haven't received that treasure to have what I have... It has eased my "troubled heart" so many times, it has made me the person I am, and it has made going through this life easier because I know I have a purpose. Guess when the missionaries call wanting help from Jeff or myself, I should have a better attitude to help and spread the word! :)

Allyson said...

LOVE THAT FAMILY PIC!

SO grateful too. Funny how we think alike on so many of these days.:) Kindred spirits.:)

xoxo