Saturday, September 11, 2010

09.11.2001







I was a sophomore in high school.  I had woken up and started to get ready for school.  We had an old, small black and white television in the kitchen which I often watched the morning news on while eating breakfast.  I turned to The Today Show and heard the anchor announce that it appeared an airplane had crashed into one of the Twin Towers.  I ran into the bathroom and told my mom.  We both thought it was strange and horrible and hoped that all of those poor, innocent people had survived.

I went back into the kitchen and continued to watch for a few minutes.  They were filming the towers when suddenly another airplane came into view.  I watched as it crashed through the side of the second tower.  Right then I knew that it couldn't be an accident.  I don't think I knew what it was, but I knew this wasn't some awful coincidence.

By the time I got to school the hallways were buzzing with rumors.  One thing was true, people were nervous.  You could see the fear in everyone's eyes and the hear the apprehension in their voices.
Nothing like this had ever happened in our lifetime.
What did this mean?

The televisions were flipped on and tuned to various news stations in most of our classes.  By the time school was out we had a better idea of what had taken place.
We were all stunned.  Shocked.  Angry.  Scared.

I remember the first time all of my friends hung out after that day we watched the news nearly the entire night.  Not your average teenage pastime.  But we couldn't look away.  We were desperate to understand what was happening and what it meant for our country.

Where were you that fateful day?

2 comments:

Brandon and Brianne said...

I was doing the same as you... getting ready for school going in and out of my parents room where the today show was on as well...I remember watching the second plane hit and just thinking how could this happen? later at school I was really emotional along with your sister... we both were made fun of for how emotional we were- dont you worry we set those lame boys straight...such a sad time makes me so grateful for our country!

I love you Taryn- I hope you and your beautiful little family is doing well!!

Call Commotion said...

That sounds familiar! :) I was in the same place you were - I remember every teacher (except Hage) had the television on and we weren't doing much "book learning" that day.