And to tell you the truth, it sucks.
Thinking about what he and others are going to miss out on is the hardest part. I guess that is why I shouldn't dwell on it, but sometimes that is all I can seem to think about. Sure I feel bad for myself, but my heart aches the most for everyone else that I love, namely my sweet mother, my sisters who don't get the chance for him to meet their babies, my brother and sister who won't have him physically present at their weddings, my grandmother and grandfather who must come to terms with having to bury a child.
Everyone asks how we are doing. And the truth is I don't really know. How do I gage my reaction to the death of my father? What is normal? What is abnormal? What is healthy and right? What is the wrong way to be doing this?
I think that we all have our good moments and bad moments. I wouldn't call them good days and bad days yet, because so far there hasn't been a day I didn't shed at least one tear but there hasn't been a day that I haven't been able to make it out of bed either. So rather than day to day I am living moment to moment.
I feel like each member of my family is dealing with this in their own way, because we are all in such different phases of activity and decisions and life. But our bond as an Eternal family is strong and although we find ourselves traveling various paths we rely on one anothers faith and hope, and in particular my sweet brother's unselfish desire to put his entire being into serving a mission.
***
Tony Scott Hansen, 49, passed away Sunday, July 25 at his home surrounded by his loving family after a long and courageous battle with cancer. Scott was born the third of four children on March 17, 1961 in Idaho Falls. He was raised in Pocatello and as a young man Scott attended Highland High School where he could usually be found on the football field, the basketball court, or the baseball diamond. After graduation he was called to serve in the Davao, Philippines mission where he lovingly and faithfully served the Filipino people for two years. Upon returning to Pocatello he married the love of his life, Joni Kay Gunter, in the Idaho Falls LDS temple on April 15, 1983. Scott and Joni were blessed with four amazing children, Taryn, Kyrsten, Jace, and Taigen; and were recently blessed to become grandparents. Scott graduated from Idaho State University with a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Education in 1989. After graduation he began his teaching career in Buhl, Idaho but soon made his way back to Highland High School where he influenced the lives of young people for over twenty years. Scott’s passion and love for sports led him to pursue coaching and he was fortunate to hold multiple positions coaching football, girls softball, and boys and girls basketball. For the last 17 years Scott was the head girls basketball coach at Highland and loved teaching and coaching the young women on his teams. Scott’s life was dedicated to helping young people and there are countless men and women who are better for knowing him. As an active and faithful member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Scott served in multiple callings including spending over ten years serving with college students in one of the local university stakes. In October 2006 Scott was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer and fought that difficult battle with great grace and dignity. His example of faith and courage touched many lives and the miracle of spending the last four years with his family and friends has strengthened many hearts. Scott and his family would like to express their sincere appreciation to all those who have expressed love and compassion during the last four years; as well as to the medical professionals who have cared for him throughout his fight. Scott is survived by his wife, Joni; daughter Taryn (Ryan) Palmer, Columbus, Ohio; daughter Kyrsten (Sam) Geddes; son Jace; daughter Taigen, all of Pocatello; granddaughter Stella Palmer; parents Norman and Tresa Hansen; brothers Kevin (Sue) Hansen and Randy (Joan) Hansen; sister Kelli (Randall) Munkres; father and mother-in-law Marvin and Carole Gunter; along with many nieces, nephews, and loving in-laws. Scott is preceded in death by his grandparents. Funeral services will be held at 12:00 p.m. on Thursday, July 29, 2010, at the Highland Stake Center, 2140 Satterfield Drive with Jim Lothspeich officiating.. Due to a wedding in the family, the visitation will be held Tuesday, July 27, 2010, also at the Highland Stake Center from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. To allow the family proper time the visitation prior to the services on Thursday will begin at 10 a.m. until 11:30 a.m. Burial will follow the funeral service at the Arimo Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, memorial contributions may be made to the Highland Foundation care of Shelley Huelsman, 1800 Bench Rd, Pocatello, Id 83201.
All photos by Bobbi Thomson (taken Sept 2007)
7 comments:
Taryn- You write the most beautiful and peaceful thoughts I have ever heard. I can always feel your heart and love to read your blog for inspiration. I wish there was something magic that could be said to make your pain go away. But the real magic is in your testimony and faith, and through that (and time) it will be okay. You are in my prayers. Thanks for sharing your amazing strength with us.
Taryn, Just read your thoughts and here I sit with tears running down my face. Yes, sometimes we can't understand why loved ones can't be together for ever in both worlds but that is the plan and for our Scott his mission is in the other world right now. It makes us sad but we have to remember how much he suffered and the immense pain he had and just how much he loved all of us but he had another mission to fulful and he had given his mission here on earth everything that he had.He is such a good example to all of us and it will be there for all of us to follow. But there is still that feeling of loss for all of us. Our faith will grow stonger and we all will become closer. We love you a bunch. Grandma Tresa
You are so sweet and your father seems like such a great man. Your family is lucky to have him. Thank you for continually reminding me how lucky/grateful I am to have to gospel in my life. You're in my thoughts and prayers.
You write so beautifully - How could your dad not be proud of you? You are just too amazing :)
this is beautiful. all the thoughts i have but cant express. thank you for putting it into words. i love you tar. i really miss you. i hope your doing good. what a lovely friend to write you that... if she doesnt mind ill think that it was said for me and taigen and jace too :) love you.
Wow Taryn. What a beautiful post. I cannot imagine going through all you have, but I admire you. I am so so sorry for your loss and I keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. Your dad was an amazing guy. I know we can't always understand why things happen or how we feel, but I know your Heavenly Father loves you more than you can imagine and he is with you. This will make you even stronger and you will be blessed for enduring it well. I love you.
Taryn, thanks for writing so beautifully. You can write my feelings so well. I am sitting here crying but feeling so good because i know that he is whith Christ and he is discussing our futures and the love that he has for us. I always feel him with me. I love you dearly. Give Ryan and my stella a kiss and hug.
Post a Comment