Sometimes I feel sorry for myself. Like when it is raining all day outside. Again. Or when it seems like all I have done for two days is clean my house and do laundry, yet it is still messy. When I think about my new and not so desirable calling of ward choir director. When I remember my dad has cancer or that my grandpa is having a pacemaker placed on Thursday. Or the when I do a little blog surfing/stalking and look at one perfect mother/crafter/chef/organizer/decorator after another.
But then I step outside myself and do something that has little to do with my simple and not so simple problems and my outlook seems to shift to a slightly more upbeat disposition.
On a bit of a whim I was able to run in the 5K Susan B Komen Race for the Cure. This is an annual fundraising event for breast cancer research and the festivities held right here in Columbus, Ohio just so happen to be the 3rd largest in the world. My good friend Allyson and I ran alongside 50,000 other men, women, and children who have been touched in some way by cancer. The people running next to and ahead of and behind me each had a story. We each had our own problems, most of which involved a horrid disease, but we each used the anger, grief, and pain associated with cancer to unite in power and strength. It was an emotional morning for me as I realized once again that I am not the only one with problems.***
There were the two sisters who were running in memory of their mom who died from breast cancer. The night before the race. Yes, you read that right. Less than 12 hours after saying goodbye to their moher they ran to remember her fight.
***
There were little boys running in memory of their grandmas.
***
There was a girl not much older than me running for her best friend who has breast cancer. That best friend is only 29.
***
There was a daughter running with her obviously very sick mother and cheering her on with each agonizing step. Beautiful.
***
There was a woman who was celebrating the glorious anniversary of 10 years cancer free.
***
So today it is raining, but that means the trees and grass are going to be lush and green. I am still doing laundry and picking up my house, but I am lucky enough to have clothes to wear and a roof over my head. I have a scary new calling, but I get the opportunity to serve the Lord using music, something that is so important to me. My dad still has cancer and my grandpa still has a sick heart, but they are LIVING. Those other women may be great, but I have worth and talents and triumphs too.
* * *
In other news...
- The next time you see me I might just look like this:
There are more birds!!! Ahh. Yesterday we found another nest and this morning discovered another two eggs residing within. Seriously, just call me the bird lady.***
-Today is Tuesday and that can only mean one thing. My favorite night of tv. Pathetic I know, but a good dose of American Idol, Glee, and Parenthood just does my body some good. Even better news that our antenna is now picking up ABC and the CW {a little FRIENDS, anyone?}
***
-Next Thursday is a pretty big day. It will soon be time to refer to Mr. Jace Hansen as Elder Jace Hansen. Yes, the papers are in and the call is on it's way. The bets have been placed and it seems that people think Jacer could be ending up anywhere from Alaska to Italy. We each got 2 guesses (or more if you are my mom) including one stateside and one out of the country. Let the record show Ryan guessed Alabama and Mexico, Taryn guessed Florida and Australia, and Stella guessed Alaska and Russia (looks like I got more than one guess as well, eh). Best part of the whole thing is that I won't be hearing the news on Skype. Stella and I will actually be sitting with the fam in anticipation as he opens up the big, white envelope! How is that for impeccable timing?
***
-The little girl is doing so great. A growing and a changing each and every day, but so much fun! We really have the happiest baby around just giving away her smiles and giggles all day long. Lately she is obsessed with putting everything in her mouth and sucking the daylights out of it. This includes giving herself a hickey on her arm today. She has been trying so hard to roll this past week. She hasn't quite got it yet, but it won't be long now I am sure.
Nursing is still going pretty well. Some days I just start to freak myself out about it and question whether she is getting enough or not. She never really acts hungry or fussy, but sometimes I just don't feel like I have anything in there to give her. This fact and the fact that she woke up every three hours at night for a week made me start supplementing with formula just the tiniest bit. This was a really hard thing for me to do and I basically cried about giving her the 2 oz each night before bed, but she has been sleeping so much better since. And formula really isn't a bad thing so I shouldn't stress. I just do. I would still love to cut out the formula all together and have been trying extra hard to do whatever I can to keep the milk a flowing. Drinking lots of water, feeding every 2-3 hours even if she can go longer, and started taking the herb Fenugreek. If any of you out there have any other tips I would love to hear them. Breastfeeding is really important to me and I want to do it as long as possible and think I will be able to do so, I might just have to work at it a little harder than others.
***
-The big boy is doing great as well. He is plowing through this quarter like it is nothing. I am super proud of all his hard work and accomplishments and can't believe he is basically half way done with dental school. The next month and a half is going to be pretty hairy, but then Dr. Ryan gets to start working on real patients every single day. Unfortunately for myself I have a bit of work to be done, but my misfortune is Ryan's gain as he will be able to check of a few requirements and be that much closer to graduation. Still two years away I know, but for some reason it feels like it will be here in no time.
***
-As for me...well I think I have fulfilled my narcissistic need enough for one night so I will spare you anymore details of my day to day and just end this marathon post right here!
13 comments:
Taryn I totally feel for you about the ward choir director... I was one a few years ago and I have had many calling inc. RS presidency and I think that choir director was the hardest... I think there is a big difference between knowing how to sing and knowing how to direct! so good luck, if you need any help i do have a couple of good websites i used all the time. I wish I had some brestfeeding tips for you, but i don't i was always worried if preslie was getting enough too just cause it seemed i never made that much milk. I am sure it will get a little easier once you can start feeding her oatmeal before bed. we started Preslie around 4 months and that helped out a ton!
Taryn, you are so talented and awesome and just know that I look up to you. As for breastfeeding, make sure you are eating enough calories. I've heard some friends loose their milk when they get on their birth control. I have the mirena IUD and it did nothing to my supply, so maybe it is just birth control pills. Do you have a pump? If you do, start pumping between feedings and that should tell your body to make more. It definitely helped me. And you can start storing it so you can leave her with a sitter and not worry about how she's going to eat. This is a little weird, but I've heard wendy's frostys help. The nurse that taught my breastfeeding class told me that. I know how you feel about the whole formula thing. I had to supplement with it at the very beginning and it freaked me out. But don't give up, you'll do just fine. You do have a beautiful little girl and isn't being a mom the best?! I love it! Best wishes and I'll keep reading. I love your posts.
Taryn, you never cease to amaze me! I am so blessed to read your blog and to have always been able to "lean on you" for strength! You are an amazing woman and I admire you so much! Thank you so much for this beautiful post - on a much needed day!
Taryn I just love reading your posts. You are such an inspiration to me. Every time I read your blog, you make me realize just how fragile life is and how I need to be more grateful for all the little things in my life. You are amazing, I look up to you more than you know. I'm so glad our husbands are friends so that we could be too... I have been keeping your dad in my prayers and pray each night that your family will be comforted during this unfortunate trial you have to go through. You are so strong and I know you will get through this. Thanks for being a good friend and giving me baby advice! I hope we can get together soon, I am dying to meet little Stella!
Oh Taryn, ironically I think of you as one of those "wonder women" (caring daughter, loving wife, super mommy, thoughtful friend). I enjoy your blog and how you can always look at things in a positive way even when life is life (a difficult but wonderful journey). I'm glad that you can get FRIENDS, great memories of Q2. Nothing can brighten a day better than the gang at Central Perk!
So glad you are going home! That will be such a good break for you! We need to start planning some summer activities!
Next year I need to run the race with you gals...considering my work life is made up of cancer patients, that would probably we appropriate :) I have seen this disease affect so many families, as well as yourself and applaud you for your attitude, that's what makes all the difference in the world!
Taryn you are always so inspiring. Thanks for pouring your heart and soul out for us to learn from every now and then. Let me know if the Wendy's frosties work! Good excuse to get them! love you
you are freaking brilliant. i love you. i get to see you SO SO SOON! AHHH! :) HURRAY!
Such a good post! 1 more little suggestion- not sure if anyone else mentioned this- but try just nursing on one side. That ensures she gets the hind milk (the fatty stuff) and then you can pump on the other side if you wanna produce double the amount. Oh and it's nice to hear someone else watches Parenthood too- though it scares the daylights out of me concerning teenagers!!
You are amazing girl! Thanks for your uplifting and great posts.
Reguarding nursing...it is tuff! Some people just struggle. I being one of them! I usually only make it 6 months, and even that is a struggle. I think the most important thing is to make sure you are getting enough calories and water. The feeding on one side and pumping the other also works well. Also if you are working out alot, it can cause you do dry up. Stella could also just be going through a growth spirt right now and so she is wanting more food, more often. Good luck with everything!
We are so excited to here where Jace is going. Luv ya!
That is so amazing and awesome of you to do the race for a cure! I hope you could find a little peace and comfort in doing it! And I am sure you will do great at your new calling!
With the breast feeding, I would pump a couple times through out the day to make sure my body was producing enough. If it ever started to seem like I was producing less then I would pump for like ten to fifteen minutes longer so that my body would know it needed to produce more. Pumping isn't too fun but it is the only way I made it to a full year of breast feeding Krew. Good luck! I hope this helps a little! :)
Taryn, you so so amazing! It was so fun to see you in town yesterday! I can't believe how cute Stella is...she is beautiful! You are such a cute mama and you look great! Have fun with graduation and keep me posted on the mission call!
Yay for CHOIR DIRECTOR! You will be great...and will LOVE IT (as long as people show up...it's fabulous.:)
Loved running the race. Love your thoughts. And...who won? Australia? I'm happy you get to be with your family.
Post a Comment