Sunday, September 13, 2009

Taking A Bite Out Of That Big Old Apple

For most people Labor Day signals the start of something new. Fall, a backpack full of fresh school supplies, a new back to school wardrobe, a fresh start. In Ohio it signals the end of summer quarter which equals Ryan's longest break of the year so far and a perfect excuse for yet another Palmer getaway. Don't hate us for it, our travels will be coming to a screeching halt rather soon. Luckily I still have one very important trip to look forward to...the annual Utah/Idaho whirlwind "vacation" that we will be taking in November this year since little baby P can't be too far from the doc in December. So that just means after November everyone is going to need to come visit us now.



Getting back on track now...our final summer adventure allowed us a little east coasting. We hit up Connecticut, Rhode Island, and New York in our 5 day road trip and what a great experience for us first timers. Thanks to some family of some family we were able to experience big fish, mansions, fresh lobster, light houses, dinner on the water, baseball games, Lady Liberty, Chinatown police raids, lots of toll roads and bridges, Times Square, light saber wielding tour guides, lots of photo ops, BROADWAY, and more laughs, bathroom breaks, and memories then can possibly be covered here. But don't think I am not going to try :)



Lets start with the company. I think you know us, then we have Kevin and Allyson who happen to be our one claim to real family here in OH. Kevin and Ryan are both 2nd year dental students who just happen to be first cousins. Yeah, it is pretty unusual but we really like it. Next we have Brian and Karen. Uncle Bri and Aunt Kino are Allyson's aunt and uncle. They live in Utah, but Brian just happens to have grown up in Greenwich, CT and knows the east coast like the back of his hand. Thus he became the resident tour guide, chauffeur, and comedian of the vacation. Kino taught me the true art of bargaining in Chinatown...as in she let them take me into the secret backroom and get locked in without our knowledge due to what may or may not have been a police raid on the other side of the door. I walked away victorious considering it was without a rap sheet and with a $40 Coach bag.



Ryan and I instantly became fans of Greenwich as our very first stop landed us at the harbor boarding a fishing boat owned by Brian and his East Coast buddies. Our ocean cruise allowed us to view mansions belonging to Kathy Lee Gifford and lots of other richie riches, as well as experience some big time fishing. Look at those beauties! We spent that evening with some of the nicest people you could ever meet sucking down lobster legs and stuffed oysters the east coast way.




Next we made our way to Newport, Rhode Island to experience more mansions and more of the beautiful coast. The was honestly one of the most amazing places I have ever been. If you have ever looked at Mrs. Joni's Coastal Living magazine then you have likely seen a picture of Newport. Lunch on the water and hunting for lighthouses makes for a great day.


Ryan's favorite day was likely the one spent fishing in the early morning (early as in we HAD to leave the hotel at 5:45 am or apparently all was lost) and taking in a ballgame in the afternoon. You know we couldn't hit up a city with a major league team or two without a visit to the diamond. I think my favorite part of the day was Uncle Brian literally dropping us off on the freeway in NYC and making us walk the exit ramp to the park so he could avoid the competing traffic of the US Open tennis tournament and the ball game. And we did it because he was our tour guide and we trusted him. And he was right, it worked out perfect.


Our final day to explore was jam packed! We saw the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. A trip in which I thought Allyson might jump off the Ferry for fear of a light saber wielding man yelling Russian in the middle of the ship. Thankfully Ryan interpreted enough to realize he was simply a tour guide and although Allyson still questioned his motives she stayed aboard and Ryan got a free tour. We visited ground zero, saw Rockefeller Plaza, hailed a taxi, watched some street dancers, took a lot of pictures, ate at ESPN zone, and capped it off with Allyson and I attending The Phantom of the Opera while the boys rode the train back to Greenwich just to get back in the car and turn around and come pick us up 45 minutes later. They love us.


Yes, one of my life dreams has been fulfilled. Seeing a Broadway show on Broadway. Next step...be in a Broadway show. It can happen.
Oh yeah, did I mention the belly came too? Because it did and I think it grew about 2 feet in the 5 days we were there. That could have something to do with all the food we ate, but it hasn't gone back down yet so I am thinking it is here to stay. Speaking of the babe, it (yes I still have to call it an "it" for 2.5 more weeks...Oct 1st is getting closer though!) is 20 weeks today. Yes, 20 weeks which means I am half way there! I really can't believe it. It makes me more excited and more nervous and a little freaked out because we have honestly not bought one thing. But my guess is that in 2.5 weeks the purchasing will begin. I also started feeling baby P shake it over the last week or two. He/she is going to be either a really good baseball player or a really good cheerleader, and yes I realize that either could be true despite the sex. I think I am okay with that, not so sure if daddy is.


And some of you might have noticed that this little thing called college football started last week. That means Ryan is feeling very deprived due to the fact that we don't have cable, but it also gives us an excuse for a lot of game day parties. We have season tickets to our Buckeyes again this year which included tickets to a certain game that took place last night that we shall not discuss. Lets just say I am not too sad we sold our tickets for a nice chunk of change. Ryan wished we were getting a big flat screen with the money. I wished we were getting a new crib, stroller, and pack n play. The genie liked me better. But for all you OSU fans out there, in the words of a song from my new favorite show Glee, "Don't stop believing!"



P.S. This was my 100th post and I would have to say it was pretty 100th post worthy. Thanks for hanging in to the end :)

13 comments:

HARKER FAMILY said...

cute belly Taryn I am sure you can't wait to find out what you are having. I couldn't sleep the night before it felt like CHRISTMAS!!

sam and kyrsten said...

sure love you sweetie! i love that little p inside that little t belly. glad you had fun in new york. and i dont doubt one bit that you can and will be in broadway someday! :)

Leah said...

You look so adorable! Your east coast adventures are making me jealous. I'm glad you guys are getting to do so many fun things. I share the same dream of being on broadway someday-although for you with your talents it could happen...for me-I've got nothing to offer Broadway :)

Tresa & Norman said...

Just read your blog. We are back home since Sat. How lucky can you be to see so much stuff and especially a broadway show. And you sure do look cute as a mama-to-be. Mrs. Joni is so excited. Bet Ryan is a happy papa-to-be too. I gotta get busy on a baby quilt. Our #6 great-grand baby arrived this morning. Haven't seen her yet. And Baby P. will be our #7. It sure is exciting. You both look great. Love ya. Grandpa & Grandma

Allyson said...

YAY! Loved it all! (I just have to say that the post above mine is the most adorable thing I've EVER seen). Lucky gal:)

sam and kyrsten said...

i wish you were coming home so much sooner. maybe mom will still live up to her october trip your way?!?!?!

Jon. Jamie. Ethan. Lynsi. Katie. said...

WOW! Love the OHIO! Cool picture!!!
YOu look fabulous all decked out for broadway! That too is one of my dreams to attend a broadway show. I bet you could totally make broadway!

You look soo cute with your little belly! Soo excited to find out what you are having!

Ashlie said...

You guys are awesome. Rysn you will never regret the choice of getting things for the baby rather than a TV. promise. When the baby is here and you need those things to help take care of him/her you will actually be gratful for a smart genie who granted your wife her wish. Love you guys. Trip looked so fun.

kino said...

HI MY NEW FOUND FAMILY, I LOVE YOUR BLOG, IT REALLY MADE ME MISS ALL OF YOU, I AM SO GLAD YOU CAME OUT AND WE COULD MEET YOU, PLEASE COME OUT THERE ANYTIME, THAT IS IF YOU CAN, AND BRING THAT LITTLE P BABY, HE/SHE WILL LOVE TO LEARN TO FISH, AND SEE THE WONDERFUL HOUSES, ANYWAY I HOPE ALL IS WELL, SAY HI TO RYAN, LOVE AND MISS YOU, KINO

Nike said...

Taryn! Looks like you had a great time! Don't you just love New York? Broadway shows are great and so much fun. We went to Ellis Island too. I was so impressed by the flag with the faces that makes up the American family. You got to do some cooler stuff than I did (i.e. see famous people's homes) but my time will come. Oh, and Greenwich is awesome but I loved Soho. Keep hanging in there. I was thinking how funny it would be if you and P only had li'l girls because I don't know what P would do! Anyway, keep me posted and I'll try to do the same.

Lucy and Landon said...

It's fun to see your baby belly! Looks like a fun trip. you guys have done a lot of traveling this summer. Live it up huh!

Chelsea Lynn Irons said...

1. Is it sad that i already knew you had a blog and I already stalk you... dont think I am creep Tar

2. I love this post! FYI if I could be pregnant and as cute as you in times square I would be so happy :) Your photo collages are so great also.. I wish I blogged like you!

Jeremy and Ruth said...

WOW!! 100!! that is awesome!! you are officially my hero!! Your family is soo cute! i am soo excited for you to have you baby!! you will be a super great mom! :) but maybe you shouldnt sing the baby to sleep, because then they will be spoiled and never want to listen to another singer again, they will always say, "my mom sings better than that!"