Sunday, September 20, 2015

Our Happy August

We wrapped up our summer fun with a variety of August festivities.  
The month started out at the Jerome county fair and parade where Ivy enjoyed her first Otter pop, and the big girls enjoyed all the animals they could get their hands on.  We discovered Liza's obsession with horses, and somehow ended up at the Girl Scout booth, which only heightened Stella's obsession with becoming one herself.

After a real quick, 12 hour drive we spent a long weekend at the Oregon Coast with some of our BFFs from dental school.  Much more to come on that fabulous trip, but it's safe to say, I think I'm in love.

My college bestie and her troop of thee (and a half) kiddos braved the 2.5 hour drive from Logan, and we spent a few days doing our best to wear out our kids without becoming totally worn out ourselves.  Of course it didn't work, but we loved having friends here for a visit.  Soon after they left our favorite Geddes cousins came to play.  We missed them too much while they were away in Texas this summer, and it was a reunion fit for young cousins--lots of hugs, kisses, arguments and tears.  Kyrsten celebrated the big 2-7 while they were in town, so after I made her babysit my kids for three hours, I decided to make up for it by taking her for a pedicure.  I wasn't mad about it.

Another major August event: date afternoon.  That's right, we went on what I believe was only our second or third date since Ivy was born and we went during the day and we did something awesome like canoeing the Snake River and exploring the beautiful canyon in our backyard.  Plus we did it all with good friends, so it was basically the best afternoon ever.


The second half of August saw us overcoming the Great Pink Eye Infection of 2015, hanging out with our people, finally fitting in a session of swimming lessons (both girls improved SO much!  Finally!!!), and getting used to the routine and early mornings that come with starting school.  Eliza is finally (sort of) warming up to the idea of big sister leaving her for Kindergarten five days a week.  She seems to think I'm pretty cool 99% of the time (most especially at three in the morning, hence the need for a new, king-sized bed), but for the first 30 minutes after Stella walks out the door for school, I'm basically chopped liver.  At least the baby still can't get enough.

As I said on Instagram a few weeks back, I look at these pictures and the every day moments of real life, and it's still sort of surreal that these three sweet girls are mine to love, teach and keep safe.  So often it feels like the job is too big, but the saving grace is that once in a while there is a moment it all feels just right.  
It's a busy, stretching season of life right now, and it can feel a little overwhelming when I think that these school and activity filled days are going to continue for the next 18+ years of my life.  I'm trying my best to enjoy it amongst the chaos and the exhaustion and the sometimes monotonous motions of it all.  Usually my best could be a lot better, but I'm grateful that I get to keep trying.  This crazy life is quite the learning process, and my babies continue to be the very best teachers.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

You are so witty! Such a great write-up of a busy month! You are the cutest mama.