Let's throw it back to June, shall we? June did happen didn't it? I mean I know we are swiftly approaching the middle of July, but a few notable events took place in June and I think I might want to remember them one day. We knew going in June was going to be a crazy month. Between the first week being spent playing with our families back home, Ryan's busy work schedule, and the mom starting her new job; we didn't even have time to think about how busy we really were.
After waiting over a month between being hired and starting work, the day finally came for me to pack my lunch, put on my dress pants, and head to work. I was so scared! For lots of reasons. First, I was leaving my babies. Could I do it? Should I do it? Was I bad mom for wanting to do it? Did I really want to do it? Second, did I even know how to do it? I have not worked for 3.5 years, and when it comes to clinical experience we are going even further back to my internship. I loved the clinical aspect of dietetics when I was in school, but I was so intimidated by the idea of diving back into it. A month and a half is a long time to second guess decisions, doubt your own abilities, and let fear win. There were a few days that I came close to quitting before I even began. I am so glad I didn't. I am so glad I had faith that this was the right thing for our family at this time. I am grateful for the prayers and blessings that helped me move forward, even when I wasn't sure I should. I love my job. The first day was scary, and leaving my kids was hard. But every day after that has just gotten better. I have a great girl in my ward who just graduated high school who comes to our house and nannies on the days Ryan can't be home. The girls have so much fun when the "big Eliza" comes to play. So far they don't even seemed phased by the fact that I am gone every once in a while. The first few weeks I was working more often for training, but this week I started my normal schedule and only worked Friday. Thursday night came and I was excited to go to work the next day! My clinical skills have come flying back to me, and the other dietitians I work with are all so nice and encouraging. I was worried my schedule really wouldn't be as flexible as I hoped, and that I would feel a lot of pressure to work more than once a week. I am so grateful that isn't the case. I really can work when I want to work, and everyone seems very supportive of my decisions so far. I truly feel grateful for this opportunity. I don't know why it came about now, but I right now it is working and I can see the good things it is doing for our family.
For my second week of work my All-Star mother volunteered to fly herself to Montana and watch the girls so I wouldn't have to pay a babysitter for a full week. Isn't she just the best? I don't think I will ever be able to put into words how wonderful that woman is. She came bearing gifts, bought more gifts while she was here, and cooked us dinner every night. She took the girls to a movie, sat crammed between two giant car seats in the back of our car, and watched three episodes of The Bacherlorette with me. I don't think they come any better than Nana J.
Thankfully I didn't have to work every single day during my mom's visit, and we were still able to do some fun things together. We spent a day searching Billings for some new jackets for the girls (wrong season, I suppose), and in the end my crazy mom ordered both girls multiple jackets from different stores online. Thanks to Nana Joni the girls were perfectly outfitted for the rain and cooler temperatures we experienced at Island Park over the fourth.
Ryan and I were lucky to both have a day off at the end of the week, so we all squished in the car and headed up to Red Lodge. Ryan decided to go buy Stella and little fishing pole before the trip, but just couldn't bring himself to buy the cheap Disney Princess one that Stella had been eyeing. Instead he settled for the princess tackle box and made one little girl very happy. We had a fun day fishing in the rain, eating pizza, and enjoying the beautiful mountains.
Father's Day came and went with it's usual bittersweet feelings. I am so grateful for all the father figures who have touched my life in one way or another. I am so lucky to have a father, step-father, grandfathers, uncles, a father-in-law, and of course, a husband who show me the true qualities of a good man. They take care of me and my girls in so many ways, and I love each of them deeply. I can't think of anything greater than watching my husband as a father. Creating a future with that man is my greatest accomplishment.
And to my own dad: thank you for everything you taught me. I wish I could have experienced more of my life with you in it, but I know what I know because of you. I love, laugh, cry, and serve because you helped teach me how. I miss you every single day, and I love you so very much.
When we weren't busy working, we were certainly busy playing. It has been such a fun summer. The girls are at great ages for exploring Billings and doing fun things outside. We have loved our backyard this summer, and spend many hours playing in our inflatable pool or running around in the grass while dad cooks us something yummy on his smoker. We spent a weekend having a "girl party" and watching movies when Ryan left us to go fishing at Henry's Lake with his dad and brothers. And nothing says you are enjoying summer like an easy (and messy) meal of grilled cheese and tomato soup; and a good night's sleep with no pants on. By the looks of things I would say we did June just right.

1 comment:
Having a recently graduated girl nanny is so brilliant. I bet they all have so much fun! Glad the job is turning out to be as perfect as you hoped!
Post a Comment