Wasn't Conference great? I loved it. Saturday was spent watching with my girls, and I loved Stella's enthusiasm for the whole ordeal. She loves the Prophet and was always so excited when President Monson was at the pulpit, or when the choir was singing a familiar song. Her attention span was short, but I know she recognized the special nature of listening to servants of the Lord speak to and instruct us. As always, the Sunday sessions were relaxing and uplifting, and we were grateful that dad could be home to enjoy the day with us.
It seems that so many of the talks were focused on the family- our marriages, our responsibilities as mothers and fathers, our relationships with our children. All topics that always touch my heart and make me both grateful and more motivated to be better in so many ways. I especially loved Sister Wixom's thoughts on using the power of words to increase the faith and self-worth of our children and families. Words and their capabilities have always been special to me. They have allowed me to express feelings of happiness, grief, beauty, trial, and triumph on this blog and in other areas in my life. Writing has always been something I didn't have to over analyze, something that I could do to free the emotion from my soul and feel lighter when I was finished.
During her talk, Sister Wixom told the story of a young prisoner of war whom after two years in captivity was allowed to write his family to let them know he was indeed alive. The only stipulation was that he could use only 25 words to express all the thoughts and feelings he had dreamed of sharing with them for so long. His words were inspiring and direct. The content of his letter was proof to his family that he was indeed the one writing, and that his faith and testimony had not wavered. Sister Wixom then went on to emphasize how important the words that we use and write are. Our posterity needs to know the struggles we have endured, the joys we have felt, and the testimonies we have gained. I couldn't help but think of this blog, and the subsequent books that have been made filled with it's contents. Sometimes, especially lately, it seems almost silly to continue pouring my thoughts and emotions into this space on the Internet. Blogging seems to be losing it's popularity and draw, and I often wonder if I should be done with it altogether. But this sweet Sister's words were a great inspiration to me to continue writing. True, it doesn't have to be on a blog for all to see (and maybe it shouldn't be), but someone, somewhere, someday might need to read those words that represent the deepest corners of my heart. And more importantly, my children and grandchildren and great grandchildren will one day know that I loved life, that I loved them, and that I loved the Gospel.
As a result I have been thinking about those 25 words, and what I would write for my friends and family to see. Twenty-five words is not very many, and there is a lot of truth that I want those I love to know. But I did my best to narrow down my thoughts into 25 simple words. I am sure with life and time these words might evolve in some way, but I hope they never change too much, because they are what I believe.
Be happy, life is good.
God is great, family is everything.
Keep your mind and body healthy. Don’t
compare. Believe in yourself. Keep the faith.

1 comment:
It's crazy how the trend of blogging came and went (seemingly) so quickly. I think of blogging every day, because it was a great release and way to keep a family history for me as well, but it is just so hard to make happen these days. That being said, please don't you stop too! Your words of wisdom always uplift and encourage me to be better. ...and I love seeing pictures of your sweet family.
Post a Comment