Wednesday, March 3, 2010

4 makes 3


On March 3, 2006 I got married. I was 20 {okay, time for the truth to come out- I was actually (gasp!) 19!!! but I tell everyone I was 20 because I was a mere 4 weeks from actually being 20 and it just helps me feel a little less Mormon Marriage Cliche}...soooo....I was 19. I can honestly say I didn't plan on being married so young. I had a "missionary" {kind of} and I wanted to complete school and go on grand adventures. But then I met HIM. And all the plans I had for myself didn't seem so important, because most of them didn't seem to include him. And after a few months of constant companionship I knew that any plan that didn't include him had suddenly lost all appeal.

Let's take a step back. How did we meet you ask? Well to bring the Mormon Marriage Cliche full circle we were in the same student ward and had been for an entire school year. However, we didn't officially meet until April 2005. I had seen him at ward prayer {do they still hold these events?}, but he was always dressed head to toe in Wolves Baseball apparel. There was really no sign that he was actually in our ward or went to Utah State. I kind of just thought he was visiting with some friends or something and there was NO WAY I was going to be brave enough to go talk to him and find out. Well it turns out the Wolves Baseball attire was simply in abundant supply since Ryan had just finished his second year playing baseball at a school in Oregon {and when a 23 year old male attends ward prayer he is going in sweats}. Eventually I figured out he was actually in our ward and continued to see him at a few FHE events and church. I thought he was cute and thought about introducing myself, but that really didn't stand a chance of happening. I am shy!

Finally one night a friend convinced me to go play cards with a few guys in our ward. I decided to go and low and behold there was Ryan. And as fate would have it we were put on the same team. So started our horrible luck of losing every game we have ever played. It is sad really. We are awful. But back to the topic on hand...after sharing that night of card playing shame together our groups of friends began hanging out frequently. In fact that weekend we all decided to attend the Institute sponsored ice skating event at the local rink. Apparently the other 20, 000 USU students decided to do the same thing so we had to wait in line FOREVER. That gave us all a good chance to chat and get to know each other. After finally lacing up our skates and hitting the ice Ryan and I continued our conversation. That night we also played some more cards {we did that a lot when we were dating} and watched a movie. By the time we had lost another game of cards I knew I was liking Ryan, but I was also sensing that one of my friends was too. I knew I had to stake my claim or nothing was going to happen so before we headed to watch the movie I proudly announced to the rest of the girls how I was feeling and that I was going to try and sit by him during the movie {bold, right?}. The process of sitting by one another is a whole other story and this is getting a little long winded, but needless to say we sat by each other, overcame the awkwardness of strategically adjusting and readjusting our hands to allow them to "magically" meet, and the rest is history! We dated for 8 months, were engaged for 3, and married 11 months after we first met.

Four years later life is great. And how could it not be? First and foremost four years later our little family is now 3. The addition of Stella to our family has been unbelievable. I am so grateful for the nearly four years we spent just the two of us, but now I can't imagine our family any other way. I think that is how it is supposed to work, but it really is true. And as for getting married young, I wouldn't trade it for any grand adventure I may have had alone. The experiences we have had together these last few years have been exciting, trying, adventurous, stressful, and everything in between. But why would I want to do all that alone? I would much rather experience this thing called life with my best friend at my side. 7 months after we got married my dad got sick. I don't know if I could have handled the initial sadness and fear with out Ryan's help. Three and a half years later we are still battling that monster and despite multiple treatments, pills, and surgeries we still have to watch my dad suffer. Again, a whole other post in itself, but the point is I look to Ryan as my rock when I get scared about the situation or when I cry because I can't be in Pocatello to give my dad a hug before surgery.

We haven't just experienced the bad together. Baseball games, camping trips, traveling, and moving across the country have all made our marriage stronger and happier. Together we have visited Las Vegas, Chicago, Hawaii, Mexico, Washington DC, Denver, New York City, Philadelphia, and more and have developed traditions and hobbies that we will be able to share with Stella and the rest of the crew as they come.



Most of all I love Ryan, because of the good man he is. For the respect he shows not only myself, but each person he meets. For the selflessness he shows and for the service he has provided me each day of our marriage. For the hard work he puts into gaining an education so that he can one day provide for our family. For the wonderful dad he is. Nothing can melt my heart more than seeing daddy and daughter interact. Priceless.

So thanks for all the fun we have had these last 4 years. I can't wait to experience what is to come with you by my side!

10 comments:

Kimi said...

What a cute post Taryn! I always love reading your posts. You are such a good writer. Happy Anniversary to the both of you, I am sure you will have many more exciting adventures... especially with that little one of yours! Can't wait to meet her! Talk to you soon!

Heather Ashcroft said...

Again, Love the post! Hope you both had a great day!!!

Tresa & Norman said...

Its late, but just read your blog and didn't realize it was your wedding anniversary. Time flies on wings I think. But you two are a perfect pair.And an addorable baby.So make the most of your life and don't miss out on anything. Yes there is sadness, but we are all stong and know that somehow we will all get through this. Love ya,Grandpa & Grandma

Jeff and Teresa Palmer said...

Love you guys can't wait till you are here. Hopefully this cold will be gone from my head, so I can hold little Stella and snuggle her to pieces. Congrats on the anniversary!

Garrett said...

always knew you'd be the first one to get married... and yes, i will tell michelle hi for you. maybe i'll get her and barack to sign a diaper or something for stella.

Chelsea Lynn Irons said...

Taryn cute post, congrats! I love yours and ryan's pics

Britni said...

Fun post Taryn! Those first few pictures of you and Ryan crack me up....he looks so young! I'm glad you found eachother and now can share your lives with us...we love you guys!

sam and kyrsten said...

happy anniversary! dont worry my mormon clicheness is worse than yours... oh well. :) i just followed in your footsteps! i love you!

Jordan and Heather Humbert said...

Aww, that was a cute post! I liked reading your story of how you met - I've heard it before, but this gave more detail! You forgot to put Ohio as a place you have been/are together - hello!

The Millers said...

love Ryan, and in Derek's words "I just want to punch him" :)