Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Family Matters

So living 1,500 miles away from family and friends hasn't seemed to be able keep us from seeing those we love for very long! This past weekend was full of family and helped me realize what a small world it really is! We were able to spend time with my sister Kyrsten and her husband Sam, my cousin Tanner, and Ryan's cousin Kevin, his wife Allyson, and his Uncle Jay and Aunt Ethel Mae. It was a great weekend! Kyrsten and Sam decided to make a stop in Ohio before heading back to Idaho (I know, wrong direction, but we are totally worth it!) They had been selling in Chicago and are done for the summer. They weren't able to stay long since they had to be back for school, but we were able to show them our place, take them around Columbus, and just hang out. We ate down on campus at Raising Canes which originated on the LSU campus. Sam served his mission in Louisiana so of course is a fan, and I have heard all about it from Ryan and Benji and thought I better try it out. It was pretty good, but I felt like I had eaten my weight in grease! Sam and Kyrsten love Frisbee golf and we found a course close to our house (after much searching). I am not so great at the game, but Kyrsten actually beat Sam and Ryan and won a round. It was great to see you guys! We love ya!



Tanner was here as he drove through to head back to Utah after a summer of selling in New York. He met some friends out there who happened to be sisters to one of my new friends here in Columbus. Sarah and Jason live in our same apt. complex and are in our ward as Jason attends dental school (he is 3rd year). So, Tanner decided to hitch a ride with the Britt sisters and it turned out even better when they told him they were stopping in Columbus...again, WHAT A SMALL WORLD!

We are so happy Kevin and Allyson are here to stay now! We had a great time with them this weekend at dinner and having a bbq. Jay and Ethel Mae were gracious enough to take us to a delicious dinner before heading back to Utah. They drove their snow mobile trailer out with all of Kevin and Allyson's stuff, and drove it back with stuff for the other cousins who just moved away from here. But that wasn't before we were able to raid Scott and Melanie's old house and take what we wanted. Ryan and I came home with two lamps, a rug, a box of cleaning supplies (saves us from buying them!), and a futon! We thought the futon would be great for company, but Sam and Kyrsten may beg to differ about that.

The family Reunion isn't over yet! My mom is coming next week for an entire week! Her birthday is on Monday and for her present my dad bought her a ticket to come out here. I wasn't expecting to see anyone until we went home for Christmas, so all of this has been such a great surprise. Life is good for us here in Ohio. Work is going well for both of us, and school is right around the corner. We are both excited for school to get started and know that time is going to fly once it does. It is so weird that we still have a month left until school starts, because everyone else I know is starting next week! It makes me a little sad to think of not being with my dietetics girls back in Utah! :( My dad also started back teaching this week. We are all excited for him to get back into the swing of a daily routine and know he is going to do great! I am so blessed and so is my family. Sometimes I get too caught up in feeling sorry for myself, and really I don't have much to feel bad about. Doing this WIC rotation had definitely shown me that things could be a lot harder. I am thankful for the choices I have made and for where they have led me in my life. Life is good!

13 comments:

Kelli and Randall said...

We love you! I'm so glad things are going well for you. Have a great time with your mom!!!!! Love you and miss you!

Heather Ashcroft said...

I'm so glad you are doing well and that you've had some fun visitors. Have fun with your mom next week, that will be great. Love ya!

Sarah said...

Hey Taryn! This is Utah dietetics girl Sarah. I randomly came across your blog and hope you don't mind. You look great and it seems like you've adjusted to life in Ohio. Having family visit probably helps.
We will miss you like crazy this year. I hope the girls in Ohio are as cool as us :). Well good luck with everything!
P.S. since you won't see me next week I thought I would let you know that I'm pregnant...yay!

Allyson said...

WE are so grateful you guys are here, and that you are gracious enough to invite the loners to events and barbecues! We loved getting to know everyone; but Kevin was mortified that he played such a horrible game today...after I had boasted about his mad golf skills. I tried to call you tonight...but I think you were working, anyway, let's do something again soon!

Stacey and Brody Miller said...

Ya'll are the most popular couple ever. You would think moving 1500 miles away would make if hard for your fan club to stay in touch. I think it's great. Have fun with all your visitors.

Garrett said...

Taryn... it has been way too long since I have looked at your blog or even known anything that is going on in your life. However, it seems like all is grand! I saw your parents at heidi's reception and they looked great. It is even better that your dad is able to go back to school and that your mom is going to visit you for a week. How fun! Your mom told me the story about work and how you got confused. very funny, but it seems like everything has worked out for the best! I'm very jealous that your school doesn't start for like a month, seeing that I will be starting in another week.

have a great time and keep me updated!

Taig said...

well thanks to me you wouldn't of found your frisbee golf course.. well done taigen :] i'm so jealous everyone gets to see you except me.. come on what happened to girls week out! wha.. well i'm counting down the days until i see you.. i have a calender on my phone. :]] silly me. but i miss you guys like crazy. text me more often when you get the chance.. i love hearing from you!!

WeBeR FaM said...

It sounds like u r doing awesome. I am so happy for you. I am also so glad to hear that your dad is doing good. He is so awesomeam congrats on all of ur accomplishments!

Brittany said...

hey! it sounds like you guys are doing great! so thats awesome. i cant wait to see you. have fun! o and i got an ohio shirt, just for you guys. :D love ya!

Brittany said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
sam and kyrsten said...

tar im so glad that we got to spend some time with you! it was so much fun to be in ohio! oh and im thrilled that you put that i was the winner of frisbee golf! ha i had to rub it in sams face yet again! may you be blessed!

Anonymous said...

Hi Taryn! I saw your blog through my friend's blog that had a link to the Straley's. It is so great to see you love Ohio so far. Justin misses baseball so bad he can't stand it, every year when spring rolls around he gets baseball fever big time. Guess they will never outgrow thier love for the game. Tell Ryan hi from the Johnsons!

Dan said...

P,

I looks like something is on your face around your mouth area. I don't know if it is just the way the pictures turned out or something else. I just wanted to make you aware of it. I had the same problem a couple weeks ago.